Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail application: some messages not showing in sent folder

It happens every now and then and is EXTREMELY ANNOYING (to say the least).....

Using Mail 4.5 (set up for AOL) I send an email, the recipient receives it, but I can not see the message in the 'sent' folder. Nor does it show in the respective AOL folder when I access my AOL account via web access......

Happened again last night. Long email (with picture attachment) sent. No trace of it in my sent folder or the 'sent messages' folder in AOL. However, the recipient confirmed that he got it.

I have tried rebuilding, etc...... nothing.

Other ideas?

Posted on Apr 27, 2011 9:44 PM

15 replies

Apr 28, 2011 5:32 AM in response to Meherally

thanks for your suggestion......

Yes, this option was enabled.

Turned it off: Sent folder was now completely empty. Not one single email shown.

Turned option back on: Sent emails are now showing again (still missing the one from two nights ago)

So, looks like that didn't work for me (unless I missed something or did something wrong...)

Any more ideas?

Apr 28, 2011 5:55 AM in response to accobra

Hi,

On the left panel of Mail, you have, starting from top : MAILBOXES and under this you have inbox, draft, trash and so on.. These 'mirror' the contents on server.

Below this you should have a category in BOLD, like ON MY MAC, and also perhaps RSS etc, right below this there should be in bold "MY AOL ACCOUNT" or something similar. click on the triangle next to it, and there ought to be some folders. ther should be a folder called 'sent'. Click on triangle next to it and see if you find your lost message there ?? If the folder is not there, Uncheck the store on server again and then see if the 'sent' folder appears there.

I am generally shooting in the dark here as I hv no experience with AOL. I use googleapps.

Hopefully someone with AOL experience will shortly respond if above does not make sense.

Oct 24, 2013 4:45 AM in response to accobra

I have had this problem on and off too, it was present in Mountain Lion. Very frustrating. There are other threads discussing this but cannot easily find them.... I cannot believe that they have not addressed this major bug.

Doesn't happen all the time, but maybe 1 message in 100 (and you can guarantee it will be important) just does not get saved to Sent folder. All folders set up correctly to map to IMAP folders. Recipient confirms receipt, but no record of my original sent message.

Anyone knows if this has been fixed in Mavericks? It was the one thing that kept me from using Mail!

Sep 24, 2015 8:31 AM in response to jhclare

My good old MackBook Pro started this problem a month ago. Really annoying! The messages I am sending are always from my dot mac account, using Mail 3.6, apparently the latest that will work on this machine. (It topped out at OS 10.5.8.) I started sending myself a copy -- when I forget to do that, there's never a record in the sent folder. I hope someone has a work-around, because I need to use this machine to send these same recuring business message on upcoming travel.

Mail application: some messages not showing in sent folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.