Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i can't restore my backup after update , asking for password

before updating my i phone to 4.3.2, i did backup my data . and when i want to restore the data itunes ask for password that i never add

i try entering my unlock screen pass key but it does not work neither the password for my user in app store

Posted on Apr 28, 2011 6:30 AM

3 replies

Apr 28, 2011 6:40 AM in response to ammarmatiz

Sounds like you've encrypted your iPhone backup. If you encrypt your backup, and can't remember the passcode, you will not be able to use that backup to restore to your phone. You can continue to sync, but your iPhone backups will be unavailable. You'll have to start from scratch by first deleting all of your existing backups then restoring your phone as a new device. On the Summary screen, you must have put a check in the box labeled "Encrypt iPhone Backups".

May 14, 2011 4:05 PM in response to ammarmatiz

Right there with you mate. Exactly the same issue. All I want to do is stop my future backups from encrypting but for some reason iTunes has AUTOMATICALLY decided that all backups will be encrypted from now on. As it has done this for me (I have never requested this) I have no idea what the password is and so now (according to some very unhelpful Apple drones) I have no choice but to sacrifice time and data. When are Apple going to admit this farce and offer users a realistic solution to the mysterious encrypted backups situation? I for one give it 3 months before I move to Android at this rate.

i can't restore my backup after update , asking for password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.