Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

save photos onto a dvd

How does one save photos and iphoto video clips onto a dvd... so that i can store them for later use? (data disk)

Posted on Apr 28, 2011 10:45 AM

6 replies

Apr 28, 2011 1:37 PM in response to annaem

Hi annaem,

I do not burn many CDs or DVDs, but, when I do, I use Roxio's Toast Titanium which is exceptionally easy to use.

When you launch the application, a window appears on screen which gives you a choice of five formats - Mac Only, Mac & PC, DVD-ROM (UDF), ISO 9660, and Photo Disc. Unless I am burning a DVD for a friend who has the misfortune to own/use a PC, then I invariably select Mac Only.

If the data is too large to fit on one DVD, Toast Titanium will span it over multiple disks. There is a box labelled "Avoid splitting files when spanning", and select that option if using multiple disks.

Then it is as easy as dragging whichever files and folders you want to copy into an area clearly marked in Toast Titanium's window.

Toast Titanium then takes over, prompting you to remove DVDs, and insert new ones, when spanning multiple disks.

From personal experience, I would highly recommend this application for its ease of use, and its 100% reliability to date.

Regards,

Bill

Apr 28, 2011 1:53 PM in response to Biltan-Wales

Similar technique is available in iPhoto, as detailed in this article:

iPhoto 9.0 Help (iPhoto '11)create your own CDs and DVDs

If you ned to see it in Windows, yoiu can burn it directly in the Finder:

iPhoto: How to burn a CD or DVD with pictures for a Windows-based computer

I heard a story that this technique (using the Finder) was demonstrated for the first time by Steve Jobs at a product announcement event. The crowd went wild. He told them NOT to applaud, that was the way it SHOULD work ( i.e., you insert a blank disc, drag a bunch of stuff to its Icon, and when you are ready, say "Burn".)

Apr 28, 2011 2:20 PM in response to annaem

Hi again annaem,

In my opinion, Toast Titanium is much more flexible and comprehensive than the iPhoto technique which Grant has referred to above.

In addition to its simplicity/ease of use for burning DVDs, Toast Titanium contains numerous options under its "Preferences", including the basic, but useful one to launch automatically whenever a blank CD or DVD is inserted.

Furthermore, compare how much simpler it is to burn a Mac & PC DVD or Photo Disc DVD using Toast Titanium, than it is following the iPhoto technique "To create a CD or DVD to be viewed in Windows or by a photo-processing company".

Regards,

Bill

save photos onto a dvd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.