Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The new format is just harder to use

The new format, imho, is just harder to use. You need to click all over the place after logging in to see changes to the discussions you've contributed to, to locate discussion groups, etc. The old site was just more user friendly, though not as pretty.

I for one would like the option to use and see the old interface.

Eddie O

Mac G5 2.5Quad; 4GB Ram; 2x500 internal, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2x1TB FW800; Sony HVR-V1U

Posted on Apr 28, 2011 11:59 AM

10 replies

Apr 28, 2011 4:19 PM in response to Edward A. Oates

As I understand it, it's not just q new interface, it's an entirely new version of the software, Jive, that the forums run on. There's no way to have the old interface.

What I've noticed is that the hosts have made a lot of tweaks since the roll out. Lots of the things people said they would like to se have appeared.

Give specific suggestions. They are listening.

Apr 28, 2011 4:46 PM in response to Edward A. Oates

I agree with you - it's so much harder to use. I am totally lost. I can't find my last posts or my last questions. I don't have a clue as to how to find anything.

It's almost as if you have to search for something (no broswing allowed?) to find something and no serendipitious stumbling upon something. I don't understand categories or tags.I have skimmed a few of the tutorials, but why do I have to go through so many tutorials just to find my own posts?

Why not have tooltips for all of these new features so I can hover and get instant instructions on what is confusing me in situ.

These .... forums ? boards? webpages? are very hard to use. Not intuitive at all. I found someone posted a link to give feedback in another thread http://www.apple.com/feedback/ and I will as soon as I have time. I agree with that user too https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3023847 that previously this was the best support forum around and well organized.

I'm soooooo lost and it's about as bad as the forced upgrade at work from WinXP to Win7 and Office 2010.... at least they paid someone to give us classes on that. 😟

Apr 28, 2011 7:21 PM in response to Marlinespike

Hi, Marlinespike -

I can't find my last posts or my last questions. I don't have a clue as to how to find anything.

Copy/pasting a reply I gave to someone else a couple of days ago here, with modifications...

---------------------------------------------

If you go to the main page of this site (https://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa) and then the Your View (personalize) tab—which you should set as the default—you can set yourself up to watch pretty much anything you're interested in, including all of the topics you're participating in.

To watch your own topics, choose the Watch A User widget and drag that widget down into the body of the page, placing it wherever you like.

User uploaded file

Once you've placed the widget, click the disclosure triangle in the upper right and choose 'Edit this widget.'

User uploaded file

Next, enter your name in the Username field. (It defaults to Yourself.)

User uploaded file

Give your widget a custom title, select which categories of your content you'd like to appear in the widget, and enter how many results you'd like to appear in the widget (max is 100)...

User uploaded file

Click Save Properties, and voilà...

User uploaded file

Finally, look back at the top of the page, and click Publish Layout, and you're done.

(Note that for all of the available information to appear in this widget, you have to choose a layout for your home page that includes at least one column that's half the width of the page or larger....)

Apr 29, 2011 11:07 AM in response to Edward A. Oates

Once you log in, you can personalize "your stuff." It's not completely clear what to do, but basically, you use the top panel of "personalize" to select content (like your recent posts, communities (like Final Cut Studio under Pro Apps) and drag them to where you want to see them in the "your stuff" views. After poking around, I found out how to do it, but it is still more cumbersome that the older system, where I could log in and click on "my posts" and viola! I was there.

But things change, I guess. This change may give more view customization flexibility at the expense of having the default layout be pretty useless.

Eddie O

Apr 29, 2011 11:25 AM in response to Edward A. Oates

The personalized section would be much better if it showed which discussions where new, which where part read or if you have fully read them

you need to fully go into the discussion area for this, making a lot of the my view section pointless, IMO, as it doesnt make things quicker

hopefully one of these days this will get fixed so it is as easy to use as the previous forums

The new format is just harder to use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.