Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is this strictly speaking mismatched RAM?

In slots 00 and 01, 1GB each of DDR2 SDRAM at speed PC2-4200U-444

In slots 02 and 03, 2GB each of DDR2 SDRAM at speed PC2-3200U-288

In slots 04 and 05, 1GB each of DDR2 SDRAM at speed PC2-4200U-444

Slots 06 and 07 are empty

Everything in AE and FCP creeping along at a snail's pace. Is it just the wrong RAM?

Dual 2 Ghz PPC G5, 8 GB DDR2 SDRAM

Posted on Apr 28, 2011 4:43 PM

11 replies

Apr 28, 2011 4:51 PM in response to EDDY_F_22

I'm not familiar with the numbering you're using, but Pairing is the most important, 1 with 1, 2 with 2, etc...

4-3-2-1*1-2-3-4

Next in importance is bigger ones in the inner slots, next is all matching RAM.

When it's slow, open Activity Monitor in Applications Utilities, choose show all Processes, sort on CPU%... what do we get for numbers?

Ten click on the Memory tab... are we getting lots of Page Outs?

How much Free Sace is on the Hard Drive?

Apr 28, 2011 6:28 PM in response to BDAqua

I don't know which numbers in the CPU % would be significant or how to read them. Threads: 433, Processes, 79. % User, is going between the high 3 to the mid 10 range. Percent idle is up around 80-something now that i'm online here rather than active in AE, for example. If I just hit play in AE, rather than trying to do any work in it, the percent idle goes down to the 30s and 40s....The page outs number is 152KB. What does that mean?

May 25, 2011 4:18 PM in response to Jeff

Just picked up an A1117 (G5 2.0 DC). My questions are:

1. How can tell if ECC memory is required or not?

2. Can I go with a higher speed RAM (PC5300) since the RAM will down-clock to accommodate the slower speed?

3. Is install in pair a requirement or is just to support performance boost from interleaving?

Thanks!

May 25, 2011 4:40 PM in response to DasChud

DasChud wrote:

Just picked up an A1117 (G5 2.0 DC). My questions are:

2. Can I go with a higher speed RAM (PC5300) since the RAM will down-clock to accommodate the slower speed?

3. Is install in pair a requirement or is just to support performance boost from interleaving?

Thanks!

Install in pair is a requirement; the machine only recognizes pairs.

You can download the appropriate manual for your machine from this Apple page and get the exact specs that Apple recommended.

May 26, 2011 2:52 AM in response to DasChud

It is not required. It is supported in the dual core G5's, but is not mandatory.

If used, all RAM installed should be either ECC or not.

Yes you may. Expect misreporting of the RAM, however.

Most faster RAM will report as PC2-3200 in OS X.

It is a requirement of the architecture.

is this strictly speaking mismatched RAM?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.