Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS Safari wont play quicktime over HTTPS

I have a video that streams from Apache (Mac Web Sharing) OK to Mac OS X Safari and Firefox, and to Safari on my iPhone and iPad.

However, when I put the same video on a Mac OS X Server with SSL enabled (self-crtificated) I can view the video via Mac OS X Safari and other browsers using HTTPS, but not on my iOS devices.

I have recreated this problem on multiple servers and clients, and my client is also seeing the same thing (same video streamed from an IIS/SharePoint server.)

Can anyone shed light on this?

Regards,

Paul Adams,

Vancouver, BC.

iPad, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on Apr 28, 2011 5:51 PM

4 replies

Dec 5, 2011 4:52 AM in response to jcwilbur

Having the same problem. Here should be a solution https://devforums.apple.com/message/361209#361209

It says following:

After experiencing the very same problem and symptoms, I was able to gain access to the Apple Developer Forum thread mentioned here (https://devforums.apple.com/message/361209#361209)

The upshot of the Apple thread is that you must have a valid Intermediate Certificate installed on the server. It is not enough to have only the server certificate installed.

I have tested this with Mac OS X 10.6 Server. I installed the server certificate and while desktop browsers were able to stream a video over HTTPS, iOS devices (iPhone and iPad) both gave the "This movie could not be played" error.

Installing the Intermediate Certificate fixed the problem.

Other devices, like Android phones and tablets, and RIM PowerBook (via Flash) had no problems playing the video without the Intermediate Certificate. I suspect it is a case of iOS being overzealous with its security, a "Feature" if not a bug ;-)

My question is: Where and how do I install the Intermediate Certificate? On the iPhone or on the Apache Server?

Dec 14, 2011 10:06 AM in response to Hmarc187

Time to bump this thread.

I recently re-built a site that was Flash only so that the videos would play back on the iPad using HTML5 video tags with MP4 videos. Well it turns out this mini-site is being served over HTTPS and the videos won't play on the iPad at all.

I found this thread and I'm not really sure what that blurb means up above, as that thread in the Developer forums is gone now. But can anyone else with knowledge on how to get around this MP4 over HTTPS problem help out?

Many thanks!

iOS Safari wont play quicktime over HTTPS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.