Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

brush adjustment jpg?

I've downloaded Aperture from the App Store and am just learning basics. Previously I've edited photos in PSE. All my images are .jpg as my current camera RAW output is not supported by Aperture. I would like advice please re use of brushes. With all the adjustments shown using the Inspector HUD, the brush symbol does not appear. On the quick brushes dropdown all the options are greyed out. I've read the help manual and followed the basic instructions in the Aperture Welcome section to no avail. Can someone tell me if I'm missing something or if the file formats available tome cannot be edited using brushes? Thank you!

Intel iMac 20, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Airport Extreme, Airport Express. Too many iPods.

Posted on Apr 29, 2011 3:25 AM

6 replies

Apr 29, 2011 5:15 AM in response to Switchblade

This is very strange. There's no reason for brushes to be greyed out on any file type Aperture can read — unless the masters are offline as Kirby said, in which case no editing would be possible.

Could you try importing a JPEG file directly from your hard drive? Anything at all really… just to see if this somehow has to do with the iPhoto import. Just grab any jpeg sitting on your drive, import it using the standard Aperture dialog and see if all the adjustments are then available.

Let us know how it goes. I'm really curious about that one...

Apr 29, 2011 5:59 AM in response to Jade Leary

Hi Jade

I did as you suggest and I am able to make adjustments, the brush symbol appears in Enhance and Colors. Things don't appear to be working cleanly. After a short time, the adjustment on brush size only functioned on the slider and did not appear on the image, nor did it make any difference to its appearance. I must leave for work now so my next response will be delayed.

Apr 30, 2011 2:00 AM in response to Switchblade

This post describes my issue.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2342518?messageID=11106668

I've taken some new photos just now and imported them to Aperture; these can be fully edited and the appropriate brushes appear eg, in the Color HUD. So I think my question now is how do I reprocess the images imported from iPhoto that are currently wholly or partly uneditable?

Where previously edited, my images have been adjusted either iniPhoto editor or PSE 4. If I can't adjust them I guess it won't be a major disappointment but it would be nice to be able to experiment with one or two as I get to know Aperture.

brush adjustment jpg?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.