Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Faxing in 2011

We've moved and I threw out the old fax machine.

I've read that the new MacBooks won't work with the Apple USB modem for purposes of faxing. Will my 2010 MacBook work with it - or better yet other brands I might find brand new?

Please don't say go use an online fax service - none of them are really free... (We only send probably 10 faxes a year, and wouldn't mind a "pay per page" model - but they all seem to want to charge a monthly subscription as well.)

Please also don't tell me faxing is going away and isn't used any more. Try dealing with a bank or a real estate related company.

So again - forgetting online - Have 2010 MacBook, have a phone line (VOIP) but no internal modem. Will the Apple USB modem work - will 3rd party USB modems work?????

2009 MacMini, 2010 MacBook Pro, Apple TV 3.0.1 160GB, Power Mac 8500, Mac OS X (10.6.6), Dell 2408WFP monitor, 10TB external

Posted on Apr 29, 2011 4:44 AM

14 replies

Apr 29, 2011 6:56 AM in response to igirl1

Many multifunction printers have built-in phone ports to connect to your phone line. You can fax from these printers very easily, with or without involing your computer. My FAQ* directs you to various printers that are supported by Macs, some of which have built in phone ports:

http://www.macmaps.com/printersx.html

Yes the Apple USB FAX Modem is also around at some used and refurbished Mac shops*:

http://www.macmaps.com/usedrefurbished.html

And that should work with any Mac you have today.

There may be others that are supported by FaxSTF for the Mac.

Apr 29, 2011 7:00 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

"You could scan the pages you want to send then attach them to an email to the recipient. They will receive the images of the pages, not unlike if you had faxed them."

Ahhh errr ummmm that an email - not a FAX. I thought I clearly stated that some companies (eg., banks) still use fax. That's all they can handle.

Otherwise - you're absolutely right - for normal people email attachments is what we've all done for years.

Apr 29, 2011 7:53 AM in response to igirl1

I thought I would provide an alternative but I see I should not have tried.

I work in a professional environment and deal with financial institutions and real estate companies frequently. I've never run across one that only relies on a fax machine any more. Many clients don't even have a land line to which to connect a fax machine. They have transitioned to cell phones only.

So do your institutions just not deal with these people?

If you don't want to use email then use an online faxing service like efax. I've never been charged for their service for the times I had to infrequently use them.

I hope you find the answer to your issue.

Apr 29, 2011 7:52 AM in response to igirl1

Looks like maybe US Robotics makes one that's still in production and working with Snow at least in whatever hardware was tested.

http://www.usr.com/products/modem/modem-product.asp?type=features&sku=USR5637

I didn't want to have to buy a new printer, just to send a fax. And the idea here was to get rid of giant clunky hardware. This "dongle", used just and only for sending a fax might be OK - assuming it actually works.

There are of course always used, refurbs, etc. to shop. Apple and otherwise -

(Just found the US Robotics used/open box shipped for $31 on Amazon - it's worth a go. I will post back and add my experience with it after I can use it a few times).

Apr 29, 2011 8:03 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

BobTheFisherman wrote:

I thought I would provide an alternative but I see I should not have tried.

I work in a professional environment and deal with financial institutions frequently. I've never run across one that only relies on a fax machine any more. Many clients don't even have a land line to which to connect a fax machine. They have transitioned to cell phones only.

So do your institutions just not deal with these people?

If you don't want to use email then use an online faxing service like efax. I've never been charged for their service for the times I had to infrequently use them.

I hope you find the answer to your issue.

Please, don't take any offense or view my response the wrong way - I did try to say "you're absolutely right ". And very much appreciate the consideration!

Perfect example - just two days ago I was dong a car loan with Chase - a major national bank! The Branch Manager has email of course - but Chase's system bounced ever single email I sent, with or without an attachment. I tried Yahoo, Gmail and my own domain(s) - everything bounced.

The only choices left were - snail mail, fax or hand deliver. I had to have a fax out.

Example 2 - I had to refill an online prescription, and had to fax in the original script. I tried multiple times using FaxZero (supposedly free) but they never received it.

Example 3 - Several months ago we were doing a real estate deal and the other end needed faxes - that's all they wanted - they couldn't get attachments on emails properly for whatever reason.

Apr 29, 2011 8:18 AM in response to a brody

a brody wrote:

e-mail & cell are not as secure as land lines for fax communication. The FBI can have my financial info if it needs it since I have nothing to hide from them. And as far as I know only they and police can tap your lines legally.

I understand that, but I gave up my land line several years ago. I deal with real estate companies at least weekly and we exchange documents via email. I don't think Homeland Security has intercepted our communications, but I may be mistaken. I think that if Homeland Security wants to tap your land line they can do so.

I do all my banking online using secure connections. I do not use a land line to call my bank to go through menu selections etc. to make queries, fund transfers, etc. Are you saying I should use my land line (if I had one) to perform these banking transactions instead of using the web or email? I just put an offer on a property and never went into the real estate office. They emailed me the listing and documentation, I filled in the paperwork and emailed it to them. They countered through email with the attached signed contract.

I have a fax machine sitting here in front of me that I have not used for at least two years, since I got rid of my land line. I have not experienced any issues with any institutions, businesses, or clients since I stopped using land line fax.

But I stray, the OP wants to use a land line fax. It looks like she found a solution. I thought I would contribute an alternative approach, which was rejected. That's fine. I understand some people still have a desire or need to use land line fax. I think the day will soon come though where fax machines go the way of the manual type writer or record player.

Apr 29, 2011 8:26 AM in response to igirl1

Sorry I read your response to me as a little negative. I do understand that at times some people ust use a fax machine.

It is unclear to me the difference in the end result. The recipient of the fax gets a printed document off their fax machine (probably a multi-function printer); or they get a printed document from an email attachment, probably off the same multi-function machine. The end result is the same whether faxed or emailed. The recipient gets the same document printed at their site on the same machine.

Apr 29, 2011 8:40 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

the OP wants to use a land line fax. It looks like she found a solution. I thought I would contribute an alternative approach, which was rejected. That's fine. I understand some people still have a desire or need to use land line fax. I think the day will soon come though where fax machines go the way of the manual type writer or record player.

I don't WANT to - but have HAD to - much to my dismay.

I agree a fax machine is already like a manual typewriter in it's relevance. Record players are now being made with USB out though, so they are still fighting to live on.... (my 20 year old kids love vinyl BTW)

It's companies that have a chokehold their employees email that are part of the problem. I've also sometimes encountered the dreaded "PC guy can't read a Mac attachment" situation far more than one would ever expect. Every try to Zip (Compress in OSX-speak) a bunch of PDFs in OSX and email them to a PC guy? *shudder*

Anyway, thanks everyone for the replies - I will try the USR modem/dongle out and post back!

Apr 29, 2011 11:42 AM in response to igirl1

Well it sounds you are definitely making the right move in getting rid of the old fax machine. I've been using a fax to email service with my Macbook for awhile now and I get inbound faxes delivered directly to my email as PDF files. I can also send faxes directly from my email account by attaching the documnets I need to fax.

If you are looking to fax without using an actual fax machine, I would recommend checking out some of the online fax providers out there like FaxitFast.com, Myfax, etc. You never have to worry about busy signals, paper jams, etc. and the service with FaxitFast (the provider we use) is less than $6 bucks a month. Plus it definitely works with Macs!

Mar 25, 2012 7:29 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

It's already 2012, so chiming in on an old thread here, but my financial advisor/CPA, who has an email address and can receive attachments, is not allowed to send financial information by e-mail. He does not like me to email him scanned documents with financial info either. I guess this is because fax is considered to be more secure, but maybe someone who works in this industry can elaborate.

I also bought the US Robotics 5637 modem and it seems to work fine!

Faxing in 2011

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.