Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie '11 stopped playing some of my audio sound effects.

I completed a project in iMovie '11 yesterday and today opened it to fine tune the musical scoring. I'm using a 2011 MacBook Air 13 in. Yesterday all the background audio files I had placed, as well as the pinned audio (that iMovie calls "sound effects") worked fine. Today the first few will play and the rest are muted. Also, if I should add a sound effect or music file to the timeline, it appears normally, but remains mute. Nothing comes out of the speakers. The sound file will play fine in the Audio window. Selecting it and then hitting the play button (or double-clicking it) will cause it to play normally. But when I drag the file over to the timeline and drop it on a clip, it attaches normally and looks fine. But when I play the video, there is no sound. Now here's the strange thing. If I copy one of the audio files that DOES play and then paste it back into the timeline, it will not play. It's the same file, but at one point it plays and at another it does not. This problem does not occur with background audio files. If I take the same file that will not play as an attached "sound effect" and paste it into the background as a big green background audio file, it will play.

So, what's going on? I don't recall doing anything since yesterday (when everything worked fine) that might have caused this aberrant behavior. Have you ever encountered a problem like this? Any idea about what I can do to correct this? Thank you for your swift reply. I'm facing an urgent deadline.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.7), iMovie '11

Posted on Apr 29, 2011 10:28 AM

8 replies

Apr 29, 2011 11:00 AM in response to Peter Weisz1

OK. This just keeps getting weirder. I went back to my project and noticed that one of the audio strips had a yellow caution badge with an exclamation point in it. I don't know what that means and clicking on the badge produced nothing.

Now here's the weird part. The audio with the badge does NOT play, BUT any other audio strips that are next to it (above or below) will play, but only the portion that overlaps with the badged strip. I can moved the badged strip around the timeline and it will magically cause OTHER strips to play. These are audio strips that would not play before. Only the part that overlaps with the magic badge strip will play. The badged strip itself never plays.

If I turn on "ducking" on the magic badge strip, the waveform of any adjoining audio strips (and audio tracks of video clips) will behave as they should and go down to 15%. But when I hit the space bar to play, only the overlapping portion of the OTHER strip will play...and AT FULL VOLUME. It looks like it has been ducked down to 15%, but it plays at 100%! The rest of the audio strip that does not overlap the magic badged strip will not play at all.

I hope I've made this clear. It is very strange and I would really like to know what is going on here and learn how to avoid creating this type of a mess in the future.

Thank you for your help. Please hurry!

May 15, 2011 6:00 PM in response to Peter Weisz1

I had the same problem just happen! I deleted the audio (song that had the yellow caution exclamation point) from my video and then the rest of the audio started working normally. I've been able to edit and add 3 new songs with no problem. I read that if you keep the audio with the caution sign in your project it will start to corrupt the other audio files. Can't say I experienced it, didn't want to risk it so I deleted the song in imovie and on itunes. Hope this helps!

May 16, 2011 3:58 AM in response to milliefromhuntington beach

The "yellow caution badge" that Peter refers to indicates that iMovie can't locate the clip, whether it be video or audio. The "badge" is in the shape of a yellow triangle enclosing an exclamation mark - see this picture:

User uploaded file

One tip that may help is to delete iMovie's preference file. That file can become corrupted under certain circumstances, such as when iMovie quits unexpectedly or is Force Quit.

The file is located in your User (Home) folder Library/Preferences and, for iMovie '11, is named "com.apple.iMovieApp.plist".

Close iMovie, then drag the .plist file to the Trash. When opened, iMovie will create a fresh .plist file with the default settings, which you can change if desired in iMovie's menu item iMovie>Preferences.

Deleting the file will not harm your existing Events or Projects, but may fix iMovie's abnormal behaviour.

NOTE: I have seen similar behaviour myself, as you and Peter describe (but not as serious - it was on a test project). My fix was to check each and every audio track and switch Ducking OFF and ON (or ON and OFF depending on its setting). The disappearing audio suddenly re-appeared on the problem track. But it may have been coincidental, as I was playing around generally - perhaps something else I did triggered it.

John

Mar 26, 2013 11:16 AM in response to Peter Weisz1

Same thing happened to me and I fixed it after I re-traced my steps knowing it was likely not an iMovie issue.

Problem was I moved a single audio file, that was referenced in my clip, from one location to another ... and iMovie did not like that one little bit, so iMovie did to me what it did to you and screwed the entire clip.

All you have to do is replace the audio file back to the original locaion on your disk that iMovie is looking for .. OR... delete that audio snippet and add it again from its new location.

You might not know what one it is so just go through your clip and as soon as you hear audio come back in (oddly for another clip) you've found the culprit.

Its an iMovie bug but, as a developer, I can see how they didnt account for it

Apr 18, 2014 9:59 AM in response to Luke Kwan

I had a similar experience. Thanks for your post. It helped me fix my problem.

I have also noticed that if I don't turn off Time Machine in Preferences it will screw with iMovie settings. I create a lot of long narrated slideshows in iMovie so spend a lot of effort timing audio recordings to stills. I have noticed that there were times when these timing "tweaks" would not hold in iMovie - that they were getting messed up if Time Machine had performed a backup. Turning off Time Machine in preferences whenever I have iMovie open has solved this problem for me. iMovie had been doing crazy things like changing back transition timing that I had edited or undoing changes I had made using the audio clip trimmer. All these things stopped happening when I started making it a practice to keep Time Machine turned off whenever iMovie is open.

iMovie '11 stopped playing some of my audio sound effects.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.