Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Advanced restore problems

I have an Apple Power PCG5 with leopard 10.5.8 operating system.

I used Apple's Mac Backup (updated version) program to do a successful "advanced backup" of photoshop files in "documents". There were about 5GB of files and it took around 2-1/2 hours to backup on a DVD.

Then I tried to do an "advanced restore" and I chose the above backup file to restore back to the original location. All the files populated the screen indicating a succesful backup and I clicked on the tab "check all" and all files got a check mark. But when I clicked on "start restore" (to the original site), restore did not begin as it should have according to the instructions on "help" but a screen headed "Backup (with backup file name).smb" popped up.

There seems to be nowhere to go from this screen to start the backup. On the left of this screen is a listing of "Devices" and below that a listing of "places"

At the bottom right of this screen are two tabs "cancel" and "OK". The OK tab is dimmed and unresponsive.

I tried clicking on documents under "places" and it lit up and started to flash. Thinking it was now restoring , I let it sit for 6 hours but no restoration in progress or restoration complete message appeared. So I clicked on the cancel tab and the program asked me if I wanted to abort restore. If I clicked no, it cycled back to the above "backup(filename).smb screen. If I clicked on yes the restoration was cancelled. I have tried this several times.

Apple hardware test revealed no problems.

Anyone know what is going on and what to do about it? Thanks.

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 29, 2011 11:07 AM

1 reply

Apr 29, 2011 12:08 PM in response to dg60516

I can't help much here, never having used tha Apple APP, but I find it curious that it says .smb !?

Might be the way it does, not sure & find no details on it.

What Version of Backup is it?

MobileMe: Don't use Backup 3.1.1 with Mac OS X v10.5...

Symptoms

With Mac OS X v10.5 or later, Backup 3.1.1 may behave unexpectedly. Symptoms may include:

• Backup stops responding when attempting to restore.
  • Various alert messages appear when backing up.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1752

MobileMe Backup v3.2...

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1025

Advanced restore problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.