Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 4 stuck in recovery mode, itunes unable to detect it!!!

i was in ios 4.2.1 and i tried to update to ios 4.3.2,half way of the upgrading, itunes shows and error(i cant really remember whats the error,it contains numbers actually) and now it stucks at the recovery mode...i have tried to use tiny umbrella to exit the recovery mode. the worst thing is that i tunes and tiny umbrella are unable to detect my phone.i have tried to restart by pressing home button and sleep button,it does not work as well.so what am i going to do now to get my iphone 4 alive?

iPhone 4

Posted on Apr 29, 2011 12:57 PM

18 replies

Apr 29, 2011 2:32 PM in response to zaxwin

I feel your pain zaxwin, same thing just happened to me...I re-started i tunes, and plugged the USB in after it loaded. my phone was in recovery mode, and stayed that way. I was forced to recover factory settings, then sync again. I hope you have a better back up than me, since I use a pc, and moble me, not everything is saved, nor all settings. This has ruined my day, wish you better luck.

May 14, 2013 1:25 AM in response to zaxwin

Try to put your iPhone 4 in DFU mode and then restore it.

You can try these steps below:

1. Try another USB cord.

2. Restart your computer for a try.

3. Hold the power button, it might restart your iPhone.

4. Update your iTunes to the latest version. Plug in your iPhone.

If iTunes can't recognize it, then in iTunes in the top left corner click help > run diagnostics.

On the box that comes up, check the last two things. Click next and it should identify your iPhone and then restore iPhone from iTunes backup.

Feb 12, 2014 6:16 PM in response to zaxwin

zaxwin wrote:

i was in ios 4.2.1 and i tried to update to ios 4.3.2,half way of the upgrading, itunes shows and error(i cant really remember whats the error,it contains numbers actually) and now it stucks at the recovery mode...i have tried to use tiny umbrella to exit the recovery mode. the worst thing is that i tunes and tiny umbrella are unable to detect my phone.i have tried to restart by pressing home button and sleep button,it does not work as well.so what am i going to do when my iPhone stuck in recovery mode?

I once met the similar thing and I try my best to get iPhone out of recovery mode and I finally restore my iPhone. Here are how I did when thing happened:

1. Put your iPhone into DFU mode.

2. Enable the TSS Server on TinyUmbrella. If iTunes is open, it will close.

3. Open iTunes, and it should recognize your device in recovery mode. Hold Alt/Option+Click ‘Restore’ in iTunes, and select the iOS 4.3.3 firmware for your device

4. Allow iTunes to restore. You may get an iTunes Error (1) when the restore is complete. This is due to the fact that the TSS server is still running, and can be misleading. Just ignore this error.

5. Your iPhone should now be stuck in the recovery loop. You will see a “Connect to iTunes” message. Rebooting, booting out of recovery, etc will get your nowhere.

6. Download the Fix TinyUmbrella Fix Recovery file for Windows or Mac via our Downloads page.

7. Place your iPhone back into DFU Mode.

8. Extract the contents of the fixrecovery.zip file, right click on ‘fixrecovery43′ and select ‘Open With’ then ‘Terminal’.

9. The fix recovery should execute, and your iPhone will be kicked out of the recovery loop.

10. Run iTunes with your iPhone plugged in to activate if necessary.

You can first get iPhone out of Recovery Mode and then use iTunes to restore those you want.

iphone 4 stuck in recovery mode, itunes unable to detect it!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.