Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xserve SSD OS drive boots before the RAID 5 is ready. The OS then creates an alias for the RAID set then cant see it or use it.

Hey guys I have a good one for you.

We have a 2009 xserve with a SSD boot drive. The problem is it seems that the SSD os drive boots in to the os so fast that the raid is not yet ready so the os will create an alias for the RAID set. With in 5 seconds the drive shows up but still has the alias for the RAID set and the os can not see it. You can see this by using "go to folder" /Volumes

The only solution for now is to turn off all active services and reboot. Once in the os activate the services and it will be ok.

Or delay the boot by holding the option key to select the boot device. That usually is enough of a delay for the RAID Set to fire up.

Apple says they have seen this before but does not have a fix for it yet. I am wondering if we can do anything else to help delay the boot process by putting in a delay of some sort.

I still can not belive how fast it boots! On a restart the machine is at the login screen in like 12 seconds!!

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.6.5), 2.26ghz Quad Core

Posted on Apr 29, 2011 6:09 PM

There are no replies.

Xserve SSD OS drive boots before the RAID 5 is ready. The OS then creates an alias for the RAID set then cant see it or use it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.