Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is iTunes 10.2 leaving videos in the Downloads folder?

I have my iTunes library set up to consolidate so that everything gets placed in the appropriate folder. It used to be if I downloaded a video from iTunes it would download to the "Downloads" folder and when the download finished it would move to the appropriate folder be it the "TV Shows", "Movies", "Podcasts", etc.

Now what happens is that iTunes 10.2.2.12, creates a folder under the approriate folder ("TV Shows", "Movies", etc), but never actually moves the download.m4v file there. As such all my videos are in subfolders in the "Downloads" folder and I have to manually move them over.

This seems to only occur with video files as music files and apps are correctly moved.

Is there a way to get this to happen automatically or is it a bug?

iPad 2, Other OS, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on Apr 29, 2011 6:38 PM

6 replies

Apr 29, 2011 7:07 PM in response to Morac

I found two others "work around" which are time consuming and annoying:

1. If I move the downloaded files outside of the iTunes Media folder and then point iTunes to them (since it asks where the file went) and the choose "Consolidate Files" it will correctly copy the files to the correct locations. This is very time consuming and annoying since iTunes should be doing this automatically.

2. Move everything from the "Downloads" folder out of the iTunes Media Folder (or just move the Downloads folder itself). The drag and drop all the files individually into iTunes. They will get copied to the correct folder, but show as duplicates in iTunes. Delete the originals from iTunes.

Apr 30, 2011 5:50 AM in response to Morac

I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering from this issue. It seems to be a bug within iTunes, as it worked flawlessly in previous versions...

This bug also seems to occur when importing a video file which is added to the Movies section, then trying to change its media kind to TV Show.

Another workaround, if downloading podcasts, is to download the podcast(s) directly to an iPhone/iPod touch, then transfer it to iTunes.

May 5, 2011 6:13 AM in response to qlmpnr

blaze0041 seems to have found the answer:

<<>>

can confirm there is indeed an updated installer with the version number 10.2.2.14, and you must use the Apple download link(s).

32-bit: http://apple.com/itunes/download

64-bit: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1047

<<>>

Here's the link to the discussion (page 3):

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3009788?start=30&tstart=0

Why is iTunes 10.2 leaving videos in the Downloads folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.