Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

on my macbook pro i lost my built in sound

I am having issues with my sound on my macbook pro. There is no built in sound when i go to the preferences and sound. I have tried everything from running hardware diagnostics to doing the Option + Command, P + R and nothing works. please help

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 30, 2011 5:36 AM

10 replies

Mar 21, 2012 2:14 PM in response to mohanfromajax

I just had this happen, where my "Sound" preferences had digital output listed, but no internal speakers. So my speakers would not work. Tried turning the macbook pro off and starting it back up with no luck. When I plugged in a set of headphones and played a song in iTunes, the sound came through the headphones. When I unplugged the headphones the internal speakers started working again. Yay!

Jun 27, 2012 8:03 AM in response to mohanfromajax

My solution for "No Sound Output to MacBook Speakers" - Re-route Sound Input / Output

I have had this problem on my MacBook Pro, and tried EVERYTHING Apple & Forums suggested - SMC reset, PRAM reset. Apple advised me to send it in for servicing. Since it isn't covered by warranty, I didn't want to do that.

If you do not want to pay Apple to fix your MacBook optical sound jack hardware, you can overcome the problem with this procedure I came up with myself, which overcomes the hardware failure caused by the headphone jack optical sensor thinking something is plugged in there when there isn't.

Ironically, this solution requires a jack be inserted into the headphone jack. Annoying, but workable and free.

• Step 1. Plug headphones in (don’t worry, you won’t use them)

• Step 2. Change System Preferences -> Sound -> Change Internal Speakers to an Input!

• Step 3. Done!

Obviously when you do want to use the headphones, you must revert this setting.

Hope this helps!

Doug

User uploaded file

Sep 26, 2012 2:59 PM in response to Meghan1994

Common problem.

If you can see a red light, the port is still live, cutting off the internal speakers.

The cause is a little leaf switch that is pushed over by the jack when you insert it. Sometimes these stick.

Try inserting and removing a jack a few (dozen) times.

If that doesn't free it you may attempt to tease it with a slim non-conducting tool (like a toothpick). Ensure the Mac is not only shut down, but unplugged if you try this.

And be careful; the leaf is fragile and it's an expensive bit to get to and replace, in fact on some models it's directly on the logic board.

on my macbook pro i lost my built in sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.