Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Matshita UJ-846 burning speeds

I've just a got a PowerBook G.4 1.67 GHz Dual Layer Super Drive and it is a Matshita UJ-486 with firmware FAAG

and as I understand it burns DVD-R at 8x and DVD-RW at 4x but when I insert both DVD-RW or DVD-R it says in Toast

that it burn at 2x maximum, is it the media I'm using or the information I have about this drive is wrong?

Thanks for any advice

G3 400 BW/ 1 GB RAM/ 120GB HD/ DVR-111D/ ATI Radeon 9200/ Tempo Trio 133, Mac OS X (10.4.11), iBook G4 1.33 GHz/ 1,25 GB RAM/ 320 GB HD/ 400 GB HD FW/ Mac OS

Posted on Apr 30, 2011 10:35 AM

1 reply

Apr 30, 2011 1:35 PM in response to nOmada

nOmada wrote:

...I insert both DVD-RW or DVD-R it says in Toast that it burn at 2x maximum, is it the media I'm using or the information I have about this drive is wrong?

Thanks for any advice

The information you have about the drive is correct. First of all, what does the media say for write speeds? If it is 8x or 16x DVD-R, it should be writable at 8x.

How to really find what is going on is to insert a blank disc and let finder show it as essentially a burn folder (but with the DVD icon). Drag any file onto that disc icon, then double click the icon to open the burn folder. Select "Burn Disc..." from the Finder's File menu and you will get a pop-up there which will have a speed setting set for the highest burn speed supported by the drive and the media (should be 8x or the media speed if it is lower for a DVD-R or DVD+R). You can then cancel that dialog and eject the disc.

If Toast still only wants to burn a higher speed disc at 2x, then that is a Toast issue, or at least is certainly looks like a Toast issue.

Matshita UJ-846 burning speeds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.