Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Plug and play ability between Android and Mac OS 10.6?

I just got an Android phone. I want to plug it in via USB to my macbook. Mac OS 10.6.7. Does anybody know of a driver I need or how to do that and have the computer recognize it so I can read and write to my SD card in my phone?

Posted on Apr 30, 2011 9:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2017 3:22 AM

Its 2017 now, time of mac book pro and Android Nought. But i guess lot of people will still look for the solution.

Download "Android File Transfer tool" from Android website and install on your mac.

Plug your Android phone, ensure that screen is not Off/in Sleep/Locked ( Go to Settings> Lock screen >sleep > extend it to longer time say 10 minutes). On plugging, android will prompt for "Use USB for" . Choose "File Transfer".

On mac, open the application "Android File Transfer tool". It will detect the connected android device and open the storage. You can transfer files from both ends.

Note: 1.You wont get android storage icon on desktop in the way you get when connecting an external storage.

2. Android website shows a message limiting transfer to 4GB. However I could transfer more without any hitch

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2017 3:22 AM in response to Greg Shehan

Its 2017 now, time of mac book pro and Android Nought. But i guess lot of people will still look for the solution.

Download "Android File Transfer tool" from Android website and install on your mac.

Plug your Android phone, ensure that screen is not Off/in Sleep/Locked ( Go to Settings> Lock screen >sleep > extend it to longer time say 10 minutes). On plugging, android will prompt for "Use USB for" . Choose "File Transfer".

On mac, open the application "Android File Transfer tool". It will detect the connected android device and open the storage. You can transfer files from both ends.

Note: 1.You wont get android storage icon on desktop in the way you get when connecting an external storage.

2. Android website shows a message limiting transfer to 4GB. However I could transfer more without any hitch

Apr 30, 2011 10:04 PM in response to Greg Shehan

Hi There

No drivers required; however, you will need to turn USB Debugging on on the phone. To do this go to Go to Settings > Applications > Development on your phone and click on USB Debugging. Connect to your computer via the USB cable then Drag down the notifications window and click on USB Connection. Click on Mount. The phone's SD Card will now appear on your desktop and you can drag/drop items to it in the Finder.

J.C

Plug and play ability between Android and Mac OS 10.6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.