Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS X Snow Leopard installation stuck at Language Selection screen.

Hi guys,

Here is the scenario that I am facing:

- Bought MacBook Pro 13" in October 2009, with 1-year warranty

- Trackpad issues during the year of warranty

- March 2011: while downloading a series on iTunes, the laptop got stuck

- Shut down the laptop manually (pressing the power button)

- Restarting, a blinking question mark appeared

User uploaded file

- Tried start+C, start+Option, nothing

- Boot from Mac OS X Snow Leopard DVD, holding C button

- After 3 minutes, the logo screen appears

- After 2 minutes, the progress circle stops spinning

- Waiting for 5 more minute, the blue screen appears

- 2 more minutes and the Language Selection screen appears.

User uploaded file

- From there, even after waiting 20 minutes, impossible to do anything. Clicking, typing won't work.

- DVD does not seem to be spinning from there.

Any idea? The laptop is out of warranty and I would like to be sure to do everything possible before bringing it to an Apple Center.

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on May 1, 2011 4:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2011 5:20 AM

Hi grishester,

Try running Apple Hardware Test located on your MacBook Pro install DVD. Insert the disc and reboot the MBP holding down the D key. This will boot AHT and check your hardware.

If it comes back with an error code ring your local authorised Apple repair centre and report the code to them. They will then be able to advise next steps.

Hope this helps.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2011 5:20 AM in response to grishester

Hi grishester,

Try running Apple Hardware Test located on your MacBook Pro install DVD. Insert the disc and reboot the MBP holding down the D key. This will boot AHT and check your hardware.

If it comes back with an error code ring your local authorised Apple repair centre and report the code to them. They will then be able to advise next steps.

Hope this helps.

May 1, 2011 7:23 AM in response to Mark Hanks

Hi.

- Restarted in Verbose Mode (Press Command-V during startup)

- Got the following screen (with my face 🙂):

User uploaded file

The last lines say:

Bug: launchctl.c:2325(23930):30: (dbfd = open(g_job_overrides_db_path, O_RDONLY | O_EXLOCK | O_CREAT, S_IRUSR | S_IWUSR)) != -1

systemShutdown false

NVDANV50HAL loaded and registered.

Previous Shutdown Cause: 3

DSMOS has arrived

Warning - com.apple.driver.InternalModemSupport declares no kernel dependencies; using com.apple.kernel.6.0.

Sound assertion "0 == fMikeyDriver" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1180 goto handler

From there it stays stuck.

Thanks in advance for any help.

May 1, 2011 8:05 AM in response to grishester

If you were able to boot from the Applications disc, that pretty much rules out a problem with the optical drive. The AHT isn't very reliable, and if it doesn't find anything that doesn't necessarily mean nothing is wrong. If you're going to run it at all, you should you run the extended version.

If you're using the right installation disc, and it isn't scratched or dirty, yet you can't boot from it, then you do have a hardware problem. Some people might tell you to reset the SMC and/or the PRAM, and I guess you might as well do that since you have nothing to lose by it, but I doubt it will help.

Mac OS X Snow Leopard installation stuck at Language Selection screen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.