Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All of a sudden the Dock will not allow Home folder to be added?

I have always kept a copy of my home folder on the right side of the Divider, Now when I drag it over there in a few seconds it trashes itself?

PowerBookPro 17 3.06 GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.6), Focal CMS 50's, Duet, LED Display 24, iPhone 4

Posted on May 1, 2011 11:27 AM

10 replies

May 1, 2011 5:16 PM in response to mactechconsulting

It's not a bug I've ever seen or heard of. Could be a corrupt Dock preferences file... try trashing the following files (where '~' means "your user folder"):

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.db

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist

Then log out and log back in. Your Dock will have reverted to the defaults, so set it back up the way you had it and see if it fixes the problem.

May 1, 2011 5:33 PM in response to mactechconsulting

Thomas

I did as you suggested, It was really neat see just the Vanilla setup from Apple. Then in front of my eyes 2 of the folders Apple supplies were removed! What could be going on. I also noticed that the Delete button on my Window is gone from any window I open. I reinstalled the OS then updated to the present version all seems well except for this anomaly..

Im going to boot from another drive and see if all is well over there...

May 1, 2011 6:36 PM in response to mactechconsulting

Take a look at this recent similar thread:

How to stop application folder form disappearing from the dock

I don't really understand why the solution given there worked, whereas just disabling the Dock syncing didn't, and I also don't understand the role of iSync.app, since I believe this app is no longer used for computer-computer syncing.

Take a look also at this Apple support article:

MobileMe: How to reset sync data

I don't know if this does the same thing as the iSync procedure.

Anyway, you might try the iSync method first, since it worked in the other thread. Some additional Googling first might be helpful. Be sure everything is backed up in any event.

May 2, 2011 4:51 AM in response to jsd2

Resetting the Sync Data did the trick. I mistakkenly thought I had to re install the OS as music would not play ... though it played for the external??

So I finally saw AFTER the reinstall that I had Shut off the output when I turned on the Apple TV and forgot I had done so....

What a debacle. Growing Old is such fun... 61 this year. LOL What will 70 be like? Umm I forgot how to turn it on.....

All of a sudden the Dock will not allow Home folder to be added?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.