Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

camcorder video format HELP

Hi, I am currently using a sony DCR-SR60 camcorder to make movies. When I transfer the video files to my half year old imac and try to open them, it gives me this message:

The document “M2U06379.MPG” could not be opened. The movie is not in a format that QuickTime Player understands. You may need to install additional software to open this type of file.

So I went on the mac apps store, and downloaded an app called 'ivi' (its a video converter.) But when I drag the video files to ivi (or all the other converters I tried later) and they were converted to a different media type that my mac can support, I find that the video quality lowers quite a bit.

Anyways, i'm going to buy a new camcorder hopefully by next weekend, and was thinking of getting the cannon vixia HF G10. Will the cannon vixia HF G10 work on my mac without having to use ivi? Or if not, could you direct me to some good quality camcorders that do?

Thanks.

iMac

Posted on May 1, 2011 12:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2011 12:53 PM

I would recommend that you import these movies into iMovie, which supports this camera. These movies are MPEG2, and iMovie can import and convert to a usable codec. Note: iMovie will import directly from the camera, but will not import files you have already removed from the camera.

If you prefer not using iMovie, I would try dragging the clip to MPEG Streamclip (a free app from squared 5). MPEG Streamclip may tell you that you need to purchase and install the Apple QuickTime MPEG2 Playback Component (available online from Apple from about $20). In MPEG Streamclip, you can export it as h.264, DV, Apple Intermediate Codec or other fomats depending on how you want to use it.

The MPEG2 Playback Component may allow you to play back the mpg files natively in QuikTme, but I have not tested.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2011 12:53 PM in response to jim13243

I would recommend that you import these movies into iMovie, which supports this camera. These movies are MPEG2, and iMovie can import and convert to a usable codec. Note: iMovie will import directly from the camera, but will not import files you have already removed from the camera.

If you prefer not using iMovie, I would try dragging the clip to MPEG Streamclip (a free app from squared 5). MPEG Streamclip may tell you that you need to purchase and install the Apple QuickTime MPEG2 Playback Component (available online from Apple from about $20). In MPEG Streamclip, you can export it as h.264, DV, Apple Intermediate Codec or other fomats depending on how you want to use it.

The MPEG2 Playback Component may allow you to play back the mpg files natively in QuikTme, but I have not tested.

camcorder video format HELP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.