Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Understanding Mail, attachments, and folder size issues

Hello

I'm trying to clean up my hard drive so I can recover some disk space. I used Daisy Disk and found that my Mail folder is over 17GB. Crikey! What's a safe way to clean that up? I don't really need some of the attachments from 5 years ago. But I want to keep some of them for business purposes.

I'm using Gmail and IMAP, so I know everything is on the server. If I delete that folder I will lose the attachments and e-mails in Mail, correct, but I could get them back in Gmail if I needed to? I also notice the "Keep copies: All messages, but omit attachments" - will that only be future messages? Or older messages too?

Or, is there another way to remove some attachments, but not all?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 1, 2011 2:17 PM

2 replies

May 1, 2011 3:03 PM in response to Chris Joye

Probably the first thing you should do is select via web access to exclude the All Mail and SPAM folders (unless you use a Blackberry).

There multiple folders that are created when using IMAP access of a Gmail account, and the All Mail folder, for example can be huge.

You can exclude the All Mail folder, as well as SPAM and other folders. When you access as IMAP (the default now-a-days) there are standard folders that all email clients ( and not just Mail) display and access. Many of those folders can be excluded. To exclude the All Mail, SPAM and other folders for IMAP access do a Google search with Gmail and Advanced IMAP Controls. You should be able to exclude these folders, and to do so sign on to your Gmail account, click on Settings, then on Labs, and enable advanced IMAP control. Once that is done, you can then click on Labels tab in Settings and make some selections -- those that can be excluded will be in the list.

Caution -- I recently learned that a Blackberry needs the All Mail to access, but not the case with other phones, such as iPhone. See also:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=78755

The Keep copies will apply the next time you access the server to all messages, btw.

If you remove attachments from a message in your email client (Mail in your case), it will also be removed from the server with an IMAP account.

Ernie

Message was edited by: Ernie Stamper

Understanding Mail, attachments, and folder size issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.