Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery not charging

I have a 13-in Macbook from early 2008 and my battery will not charge. The battery indicator in the corner of the screen says "Not Charging" and if I unplug the outlet charger it immediately shuts down. It was working fine a few days ago. I tried updating the system and installing the firmware update for my battery and it still won't work. Is there anything else I can try?

firmware update

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Battery_Update_1_4

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Macbook 4,1 (early 2008)

Posted on May 1, 2011 4:44 PM

15 replies

May 28, 2011 1:04 PM in response to Jagura

I have the exact same model with the exact same problem: yesterday, out of the blue, my battery refused to charge, nor will my MacBook boot from the addled battery even though the LED lights on the back of the battery indicate a 3/5 charge. However, I have two batteries, and the second is still operating without a problem. Hmmm.... I performed the SMC reset without effect, and the Battery Updater 1.4 doesn't seem to work. It simply quits on me, claiming my OS is not up to date (which it is, of course.)

So the problem lies with the battery, but I appear powerless (pun intended) to do anything about it save buying another battery. I live in Europe, and these things are _stupid_ expensive here.

Any further ideas?

May 28, 2011 2:52 PM in response to quidprosno89

So yea.... I have the late 2008 macbook the aluminum unibody one and just yesterday mycharger was not working. The light on the magport would turn green and the battery icon says it's not charging. Right now its kinda charging the light is orange but its taking a reaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllyyyyyyyy long time to charge. like right now its almost at 3 hrs till full. I don't know whether its the battery or the charger because i drained my battery till it reached zero then i plugged in the charger, it took a few attempts of flipping th emagport but eventually got it to go to orange. So my issue is is it the battery or the charger, probably the battery imo. So if its the battery can i get a new one for free? because like i said i have the late 2008 edition and i've had my macbook for 30 months meaning its out of warranty.

May 28, 2011 8:05 PM in response to quidprosno89

My macbook was wayyy past warranty. I made an appointment, took it to the apple store, and I was in and out with a new battery at no cost to me because my battery was bad. I was expecting to pay out of my rear end so I was happy when they just swapped me for a new one.

This is the firmware update that was supposed to help my battery but didn't work for me, maybe it'll work for you? try it before bringing it in.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3421

For those who can't get to an apple store or don't want to deal with it, I called their support (I got their number through the express lane help https://expresslane.apple.com ) and talked to a head tech guy in a matter of minutes who said (as stated previously) that they could send me a new battery for free and as long as I send them back the dead one they won't charge my card.

Hope this helps 🙂

May 28, 2011 8:28 PM in response to quidprosno89

I don't know what's going on but right now my macbook is plugged in and charging and im afraid to unplug it because idk what kind of miracle has happened but its charging. Yesterday it wasn't charging, light was green and said not charging so i'm not sure what it might be, maybe the magport? But if the problem persists in the future i'll take it to the store, thanks quidprosno89 hopefully i wouldn't have to pay for a new battery if it really ends up being like that.🙂

Oct 16, 2011 5:26 AM in response to HawkeyeWest

I experimented by leaving a 3GS with ios5 on an apple wall charger with a Griffin cable overnight. It showed the not supported error and showed not charging, but went from 10% to 75% so it was charging. Reboot did not correct problem. Ios5 may be incorrectly showing not charging. Charging may also be effected by ios5's activity when on charger. Before replacing battery, leave your device on charger and see if it is really working.

Battery not charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.