Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to update playcount at replacing a song?

I would like to replace old songs in my itunes library with new version with better quality but keeping the actual playcount, any idea? thanks

Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 1, 2011 5:57 PM

4 replies

May 1, 2011 7:32 PM in response to acancun

Right-click the track and choose Show in Finder. In Finder, delete the original file and put the new file in its place.

Then start the song playing. If the new file has the same filename as the old one, iTunes will find it immediately. If the filename is different, iTunes will bring up a dialog and you can click the new file.

This procedure keeps the same iTunes library entry for the song, so it will keep the same playcount, the same rating, and the same playlist memberships.

Go ahead and try it on one file so you can see how it works.

Aug 21, 2011 10:15 PM in response to acancun

I also found that if the CD albumn name and the "Disc Number" don't match the tag information in you exsiting songs, then iTunes won't ask you to "replace existing".

I'm not sure which fields are prevent iTunes recognising that you have already imported the CD, but I made the following fields under "CD info" (accessed by "Get Info" on the CD) match my old songs:

Artist

Album

Genre

Disc Number

Year

Aug 22, 2011 7:25 AM in response to Reaper101

Reaper101 wrote:

I also found that if the CD albumn name and the "Disc Number" don't match the tag information in you exsiting songs, then iTunes won't ask you to "replace existing".

I'm not sure which fields are prevent iTunes recognising that you have already imported the CD, but I made the following fields under "CD info" (accessed by "Get Info" on the CD) match my old songs:

Artist

Album

Genre

Disc Number

Year

You can use this script to do the same -> http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=trackinfotocdtracks

how to update playcount at replacing a song?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.