Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PowerMac G4 MDD Video Capture Help

Hello, I have in my possession a B&W PowerMac G3 tower that is the educational AV edition that includes the Xclaim VR Pro PCI graphics card/capture card. It works only under OS9 and using Apple Video Player application. When I am done recording via either the Svideo or Composite ports (the only input ports on it), it encodes super slow, as it is a G3 at 350MHZ. This is just background information to what I need help with.

Anyway, I also own a PowerMac G4 MDD dual 1.0GHZ that runs OS 9.2.2 and 10.4.11 on separate hard drives. I wanted to speed up the video capture so I popped the Xclaim VR Pro into the top PCI slot of my MDD and removed the current Radeon 9000 Pro in the AGP slot (only when recording). I installed the latest ATI drivers for both cards here: Gona

So the the video capture works fine, but my main problem here is that I can't keep the audio input to stay on Line In, so it records sound. I can click Line In, but as soon as I let go of the mouse, it reverts back to None. Very frustrating. I would use the Apple Video Player application if I had it, but aperantly MDD's version of OS 9.2.2 does not include it. Can someone help me please? I appreciate any input on this matter. Please do not suggest that I buy a new Mac or a different capture device, as I am not looking to do that if I dont have to. Thank you.

Powermac G4 MDD Dual 1.0GHZ-OTHER, Mac OS 9.2.x

Posted on May 1, 2011 5:54 PM

6 replies

May 1, 2011 10:46 PM in response to bubbamj

I used to have an XClaim VR 128 card. I will try to look around for software on the web. In the meantime, here's an excerpt from a page on xlr8yourmac.com. I hope it helps.

OS 9.1 manages audio input differently than previous OS versions. This seems to prevent some applications (including Apple's own Apple Video Player) from changing the source.

For SoundEdit to record, I find I have to set the input source using either the control strip or the control panel BEFORE I launch the program. I also can't seem to get the "Recording Options" dialog to come up (nothing happens when I select the menu option), but since I don't use the program regularly, I may just be doing something wrong.

(reply)

try booting with a clean OS 9.1 install and set the audio source prior to running SoundEdit.

Several other readers noted they also had SoundEdit problems in OS9.1. (Some later wrote to say this did not solve their problems.)

Source (near the middle of the page): http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/OS9/OS9_1_feedback.html

May 2, 2011 9:31 AM in response to Dave Hamilton

I have now tried Xclaim Video Player, Apple Video player, HackTV, and HackTV 2. All

of them produce the video from the svideo which is great, though nothin has solved the audio problem. You know how in Windows there is an option inside the properties of your audio device that says something like "Give applications access to this device" or something similar? Or maybe it was a box to tick or untick that had to do with application controlling the audio device. Either way, Im looking for a solution like that on 9.2.2 so that when I use any of

the 4 video capture programs, Mac doesn't automatically switch the audio input to None and keep it there no matter what. Any more ideas? I'd hate to have to record with no audio :(

PowerMac G4 MDD Video Capture Help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.