Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is Boot Camp 3.0 driver update? Seems to be missing from Apple's site

I have installed Win XP Pro SP2 on an early 2008 Mac Pro. I have used the MacOSX installer disk to provide the initial drivers. I have applied the Boot Camp 2.1 and 2.2 driver updates. So far, I still don't have the graphics driver for my ATI card.

I need to install Boot Camp 3.0 as a prerequisite to installing BC 3.2 and 3.2. I need BC 3.2 as it has the driver for my ATI Radeon HD 5870. Unfortunately, without BC 3.0 I can't update the drivers any further. The point being that BC 3.1 update requires BC 3.0. BC 3.0 cannot be found at Apple Support.

Apart from obtaining the WinXP 32-bit driver from ATI/AMD, are there any other options?

Peter

27, Mac OS X (10.6.7), MacPro3,1/3.2GHz/16GB/ATI Radeon HD 5870

Posted on May 2, 2011 2:35 AM

11 replies

Aug 1, 2011 7:42 AM in response to swindoro

I'm running into a similar problem on my early 08 iMac. I have Snow Leopard installed and on the Mac under applications-boot camp assistant it says I have version 3.0. However when I launch Windows Vista on my iMac and click on the Boot Camp icon in the task bar it says I have version 2.2. I think this is because I originally installed Boot Camp when I first got the iMac with Leopard on it. When I upgraded to Snow Leopard I got 3.0 Boot Camp assistant but I didn't make any changes to Boot Camp on the Windows side.

I attempted to download Boot Camp 3.1 and install on the Windows side and it said I needed Boot Camp 3.0 before I could install 3.1.

My question and this possibly applies to swindoro is this. Do I use the new Boot Camp Assistant 3.0 to burn a new software CD and then launch Windows and do a repair of my Boot Camp to move it from version 2.2 to 3.0? What is the preferred method for upgrading Boot Camp on the windows side?

Aug 1, 2011 8:08 AM in response to The hatter

The hatter, Thanks for your quick reply but I'm a little confused still. When I open my Boot Camp Assistant on my iMac it says I have version 3.0. When I launch Windows and look at Boot Camp version it is 2.2 on Windows.

Am I supposed to launch Windows and then put in the Snow Leopard DVD? Or am I supposed to launch Boot Camp Assistant 3.0 on OSX and follow the prompts to burn a Boot Camp Software CD to use when I launch Windows as is done during a new install of Boot Camp?

Aug 1, 2011 5:25 PM in response to machz990

Boot Camp Assistant does nothing to install drivers for Windows, though Lion and sometimes you can burn them to save.

They have to be run and updated under or when running Windows, there is no way to install a driver otherwise.

And http://www.apple.com/support/bootcam has links to to manually download 3.1 and 3.2 for after you have 3.0.x installed.

Lion users:

Boot Camp 4.0, OS X Lion: Frequently asked questions

19. Is there an upgrade path from Boot Camp 3.x to 4.0?

Yes, you can install Boot Camp 4.0 drivers by using the Boot Camp Setup Assistant

to create a Windows support software (drivers) CD or USB storage media.

Aug 2, 2011 12:33 AM in response to The hatter

This still does not work for me. I have the Snow Leopard 10.6 DVD and it install the drivers inside Windows with some version (how do I check?) but Boot Camp Software Update 3.1 complains that I don't yet have 3.0 installed.

If I go to Boot Camp Utility inside the Mac OS, it says version 3.0.

The user manual is very confusing when it is referring to the term "Boot Camp". My guess is that the Boot Camp Utility and the Boot Camp Drivers are 2 separate entities and have 2 separate version numbering that are unrelated to each other. Am I correct?

Regardless it does not solve the problem that I am having. Where is Boot Camp 3.0? I have the SL DVD and have installed it on Windows.

Where is Boot Camp 3.0 driver update? Seems to be missing from Apple's site

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.