Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Files transferred from Macbook to an external HDD and then to PC

Hello,

I sold my old MacBook but before I had transferred my huge zip file (with some large zips inside) to an external HDD (which was formated on Windows PC, I am not sure what the file system was). Then, I transferred this file to Windows PC and tried to open it... And the file is currupted. I tried to copy this file to my new Macbook and open it there, but this didn't help. Is it still possible to repair this ZIP file or I should try to forget all those important files?

Thank you for your help

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 2, 2011 4:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2011 5:08 AM

Try http://www.maczipit.com/

2 replies

May 2, 2011 5:58 AM in response to TomasT

If the external disk was formatted as FAT32 for Windows, then the maximum file size is 4G. If you copied a zip file greater than 4G to it, the zip would be corrupted and data lost. Check the file size on the external disk, then again on the Windows XP machine. You simply can't copy very large files to a FAT32 filesystem. If this is the problem, there's not much you can do.

Files transferred from Macbook to an external HDD and then to PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.