Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to hear guitar using audio interface (UA25EX) with Garageband '11

Hi,

I cannot hear my electric guitar when playing in Garageband. I can hear all other sound from the computer and other tracks in Garageband I have successfully used the exact same equipment previously however since upgrading to iLife '11 I have not been able to get it to work.

I'm running the guitar through UA25EX into Garageband '11 on MBP running OS X 10.6.7. I have tested each piece of equipment separately and everything is working as expected.

I am ensuring the input and output source is correctly selected within Garageband Preferences and System Preferences/Sound. The MBP can "see" the UA25EX without any issue. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver for the audio interface (taken from CD-ROM). When I plug headphones into the audio interface I can hear my guitar. This leads me to think there is an issue getting the guitar sound from UA25EX to MBP (although I know the USB cable is ok as the MBP recognises the device when I plug it in).

I am choosing the Real Instrument track when beginning a new project and following the onscreen instructions to allow me to hear my instrument through the computer as I play and record.

Monitoring in ON, volumes are all high. I cannot manually adjust the Recording Level in the Track Info Pane as it is dimmed but I understand I simply control the volume with the guitar and audio interface, of which, all are high.

I have also followed the manufacturer instructions for the UA25EX to set that up correctly. I'm almost sure it is right, however, I don't know if the sample rate being set to 96P is correct? I have chosen that as when I select the input source in Garageband it reads "Mono 2 (UA-25EX 96kHz PLAY)"

I've restarted my computer several times to see if the on/off method works.

I really hope I am missing something incredibly simple here and it's not a major issue.

Please if anyone can offer any assistance I would be ever grateful.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Garageband iLife '11

Posted on May 2, 2011 7:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2011 7:06 AM

andymilhouse wrote:

I don't know if the sample rate being set to 96P is correct? I have chosen that as when I select the input source in Garageband it reads "Mono 2 (UA-25EX 96kHz PLAY)"

that may be the problem, GB works with 44100 cycle sample rate and at a depth of 16-bits:

http://www.bulletsandbones.com/GB/Tutorials.html#sampleratebitdepth

(Let the page FULLY load. The link to your answer is at the top of your screen)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2011 7:06 AM in response to andymilhouse

andymilhouse wrote:

I don't know if the sample rate being set to 96P is correct? I have chosen that as when I select the input source in Garageband it reads "Mono 2 (UA-25EX 96kHz PLAY)"

that may be the problem, GB works with 44100 cycle sample rate and at a depth of 16-bits:

http://www.bulletsandbones.com/GB/Tutorials.html#sampleratebitdepth

(Let the page FULLY load. The link to your answer is at the top of your screen)

Unable to hear guitar using audio interface (UA25EX) with Garageband '11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.