Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac27 upgraded with Hitachi 3TB and now have blasting fans....

I upgraded my iMac 27 quad core i7 (late 2009) with a Hitachi 3TB and a proprietary HD heat sensor cable (hard drive sensor cable Apple part number 922-9223). The imac bootet up fine and HD was properly recognized as 3TB but HD fans already running at 2500 rpm and gradually increasing up to 5344 rpm as the HD got warmer. Max HD temp was 113 F. Room temperature was 76 F.

How can I bring the fans down to normal since the HD obviously does not overheat? Any suggestions are very welcome.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Quad Core 2.8, 27, 8GB RAM

Posted on May 2, 2011 7:19 AM

1 reply

Jul 20, 2011 12:07 PM in response to nyappleman

I did something similar and used an app called HDD Fan Control (not free) to bring the fan speed down. I tried to look for a free solution but didn't see one. I'm doing something very similar, also a hitachi 3TB drive. I am considering getting that cable, but does it work? You should be able to use istat nano to see the temperature. Is the drive reporting a temp? I actually have a CPU fan out (istat nano reports 0RPM) so I'm ordering a new fan, but I am also considering ordering that same cable. Let me know if you're getting a reading from it.

Thanks!

iMac27 upgraded with Hitachi 3TB and now have blasting fans....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.