Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Parental Controls - Internet Access Stopped!

My wife has a white MacBook running Leopard 10.5.8. It has worked fine for two years. Nothing was changed. She could not change anythign due to being logged into a managed account.

It could always access the internet over our home (or any available) WiFi perfectly. All of a sudden, yesterday afternoon, her managed account with "Parental Controls" enabled cannot access any internet. Safari mentions that it cannot access the server. When checking the network setting all seems fine, it can access the WiFi router.

The administrator account can access the internet over WiFi just fine.

I created another account called Test. In standard mode it can access the internet over WiFi just fine, but when i turn on "Parental Controls" Safari, or any other internet related program cannot access the internet. This includes the software update in the Finder.

What's going on? i have found similar issues on the Apple Support Communities going back unanswered to 2007!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Managed Account Lost Internet

Posted on May 2, 2011 9:46 AM

13 replies

May 9, 2011 4:10 PM in response to BeachDude

I am using macbook 10.6.7 so it should be similar.

The solution is to remove or change the parental controls.

To do this:

1. Log in as the administrator

2. System preferences > parental controls

3. Click the lock icon and type in the password

To turn of parental controls you can go just above the lock icon and to the gear icon. Click that and on the menu that pops up, choose to turn off parental controlls.

Or...

Click the user and go to the "Web" tab. Set that to either "Allow unrestricted access to websites" or "Try to limit access to adult websites automatically". Go to the "Time Limits" tab, you can check or uncheck any of those. Then if that doesn't work, go to the "Apps" tab make sure that the "Limit applications" checkbox is unchecked.

If it is a problem with the parental controls, that should fix it.

May 10, 2011 8:37 AM in response to chrisfromhopewell

It's not a matter of going into the settings. The internet is not working when a moderated account is created. And, it works fine if a standard account is created. All the parental settings checking and unchecking will not fix this issue. Well, if I change all the parental controls to make the account a standard account, then it works.

I need a moderated account with parental controls that CAN access the internet. This macbook has worked fine for two years with a moderated account with parental controls and perfect internet access. Then, one day is all stopped, without any changes to the system, (this happened in an account that was "locked down" that cannot add, delete, remove, or change any programs, or access any utilities).

Jun 5, 2011 3:58 PM in response to chrisfromhopewell

I am having the exact same problem as BeachDude; I just now got around to installing Snow Leopard, and now my daughter's user account cannot access the internet. It's not the individual parental control settings (I made no changes to them), it's the fact that parental controls are turned on at all. I've downloaded all the software updates, so there is no fix waiting for me. I can't have a young child having free access to the computer and the internet; the controls are necessary, but they are not allowing internet access. Actually, it's not that she can't access at all (there is no error message), but a single page takes approx 30 minutes to load. Why on earth?!?

Jun 6, 2011 10:16 AM in response to BeachDude

BeachDude, I accidentally may have fixed mine... I turned off Parental Controls, just to verify that was the problem (yes, Internet access was fine with it off), then turned it back on. All settings were lost, unfortunately (no warning about that), so I reset as much as I could remember, then tried my daughter's user again, and it worked fine. I don't know if it will stay that way, and resetting everything was a pain, but I think it's better now... (knocking wood, fingers crossed!)

Feb 14, 2012 4:51 PM in response to BeachDude

Beach Dude,

I have the same problem, and have had on virtually every operating system since Parental Controls was introduced.

I have multiple kids with individual accounts. THe perplexing thing is that if I enable parental controls on my daughter's account, it works fine. I can set time limits, etc... and it works! But if I so much as turn on parental controls in my youngest son's account, every web browser is unable to connect to the internet at all from his account.

BUGGY software. And apple knows it is buggy, but it isn't core system stuff so they ignore the problem. I even tried setting up a new account for him and moving his old files over and resetting permissions. Still the same problem.

I've searched high and low for a solution and found none. I have found a limited number of users with the same complaint...and absolute silence from apple....

There is nothing on these boards that has worked, and I've tried several different solutions. Most responses are the useless kind, "change the setting in parental controls" kind of sophomoric advice from people who just assume what the problem is instead of reading our description of it.

Anyway, I haven't found a good alternate software solution for limiting the time and hours for children's accounts; but I did find an excellent tool for managing internet content access. It is called opendns and it is free and it works! Do a google search for "opennds" if your primary concern is managing access to web content. If you come up with a good solution for fixing parental controls so that it doesn't just cut off web access, please let me know here - or if you find an alternate software solution that allows an administrator to set time limits for standard accounts, I would like to know that too.

Regards

May 1, 2012 11:17 AM in response to BeachDude

I have had the same problem. My internet device connects through ethernet cable. On accessing internet in any form, a window with username/password appears. But when I set up an account for my child with parental controls and tried to use Safari/Firefox/Google Crome, the starting window does not appear asking for username/password. Instead there is a message that the program cannot access the internet.

I do not want to have an account for child without parental controls but still want to provide restricted internet access.

Can anyone help?

Parental Controls - Internet Access Stopped!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.