Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

black screen when opening pdf in Safari

When I am on a website and try to open a PDF document in a new tab (which has opened upon my clicking the link to the PDF), Safari seems like it is opening the PDF but only presents a black screen in the tab in which the PDF should have opened. In order to open PDF, I need to use the "Download linked file..." or similar command to save it in Finder or Desktop and then open it in Preview. This is a fairly recent change (possibly connected to my upgrade to Snow Leopard?). I keep my MacBook current on all s/w updates, etc and have no other problems at all (Mac or in my life...) besides this.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on May 2, 2011 2:41 PM

13 replies

May 3, 2011 2:54 AM in response to Changsha

Hi

it sounds very much as if you have a plugin trying to handle pdf's - rather than the built-in support that Safari uses by default.

Quit any browsers, look in HD/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ and Home/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ and move or trash any 'pdf...' or 'adobe pdf...' plugins you find in either place.

I don't see that changing file associations in Finder could affect what happens completely within Safari.

Apr 9, 2012 6:14 PM in response to andyBall_uk

Hi Andy

I too have the black screen problem and took the steps you suggested Andy, but the problem persists. Do you have any other suggestions?

As with the other users, it's only when opening a PDF from a website that this occurs. Again, the problem has only begun since my last Adobe update (a month or so ago).

Any advice appreciated.

Jun 8, 2012 12:30 AM in response to Napamike2

Napamike2 - the macbook with this problem was running Snow Leopard, not Lion

If you are having this problem on Lion, I *think* that the directory structure is changed a bit? Someone more knowledgeable than me (that's almost everyone) could confirm that - perhaps the steps are a little different. But following the instructions provided by AndyBall_uk worked for me - you need to check both locations identified.

Sorry not to be able to offer anything more.

Jun 8, 2012 1:16 AM in response to Changsha

You're telling me that a non apple app won't work in an apple product? for sure that can't be the case because apple is as open sourced as could ever be......my lytron software works fantastic on my i2600k@5.2ghz, 32gb, 256gb M4, 4 x 2tb WD black, with a sapphire 7970.... apple could never go wrong with it's anal retentive implentation of user protection.

black screen when opening pdf in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.