Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I Can't boot windows 7 on my MBP 13" i5

I didn't have any problems during the installation via bootcamp after I installed the updates from MAc osx installation dvd .I restarted and VOILA.. it keeps restarting showing only blank screen.. Please help me!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on May 2, 2011 5:22 PM

13 replies

Aug 30, 2011 10:22 AM in response to nmarin91

nmarin91 wrote:

Hey there!, i have the exactly same issue and if if i press option key on the startup i can boot osx back again but i couldnt boot windows after installation....do you found a solution??

Boot into OSX using the option key, when booted go to Apple>System Preferences>Startup Disk, select the default startup dosk from there.

Aug 30, 2011 3:04 PM in response to nmarin91

nmarin91 wrote:

i knew that, but when i put the windows partition to boot, it constantly reboot until i put the option key....

You said:

"Hey there!, i have the exactly same issue and if if i press option key on the startup i can boot osx back again but i couldnt boot windows after installation....do you found a solution??"

Once you are in Windows set your startup disk as you wish.

If you can't boot Windows at all that's a different issue, try a safe boot into Windows

Aug 30, 2011 8:55 PM in response to nmarin91

You did let Windows reformat the disk to NTFS (Quick) after Boot Camp assistant did it's thing right? After Boot Camp formats it the first time you have to have the Windows installer reformat it again or it won't be bootable.

Try these as a "why not",

Try booting into the Windows installer and see if you can "Repair" the Windows installation.

Try "Safe Booting" into the _Mac_side, press the Shift button after the bong. It will do some maintenance as it starts up and then you can just reboot as usual.

Try booting into the MacOS installer disk and "Repair Disk" & "Repair Permissions".

Make sure you don't have any Firewire/USB devices plugged in. (other then the keyboard and mouse.)

Has anyone done a search of these forums for the same issue?

https://discussions.apple.com/community/windows_software/search.jspa?peopleEnabl ed=true&userID=&containerType=&container=&spotlight=true&q=Windows+keeps+rebooti ng+after+install

Sep 2, 2011 3:49 AM in response to YVEZZ

Fixed! I combined a few different posts that I found that worked and came up with this. The problem was, I think, using OEM, which Boot Camp advises against using... they advise to use retail only. Fixed like this:

1. Put the Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start your computer.

2. Hold down Option key till all available disks are displayed and select DVD. Press a key when you are prompted.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.

4. Click Repair your computer.

5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

Type (these commands are safe)

Bootrec.exe /FixMbr

Bootrec.exe /FixBoot

Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

*Press ENTER after each command.*

*Restart your computer.*

** If for some reason you get, "Total Identified Windows Installations: 0" after you enter the command. "Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd" then you need to remove the BCD completely and rebuild it. If so, try this from: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927391

Bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

Bootrec /rebuildbcd

*Press ENTER after each command.*

*Restart your computer.*

*** Another thing that I noticed is that there definitely is a difference between the 32-bit and the 64-bit version working on these laptops. My Windows 7 Install DVD is an all-in-one and when I try to go into the “Repair your computer” option to fix the BCD, it will allow me to do so if I installed the 32-bit version, but it will not allow me to do so if I installed the 64-bit version.

Well, that is as much info as I can give, I hope it helps other people to install Boot Camp.

Nov 12, 2011 5:47 AM in response to drgnmsr

Hi,

I just want to confirm that drgnmsr's post has worked for me on Win 7 ultimate x64.

So I booted from install source (usb hd, but could as well be a dvd), went to the command prompt and punched in this:

Bootrec.exe /FixMbr

Bootrec.exe /FixBoot

Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

I had to to this also, as it stated that it could find any Windows installations:

Bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

Bootrec /rebuildbcd

followed by a restart.

Thanks drgnmsr for saving the day!

I Can't boot windows 7 on my MBP 13" i5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.