Skip navigation

Home button - Apple Wireless Keyboard with iPad 2

11260 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2012 2:58 PM by chris11ferret RSS
howwow Level 4 Level 4 (3,485 points)
Currently Being Moderated
May 2, 2011 7:48 PM

Hello all.

I am now using the new iPad 2, and with it, the discontinuation of the Keyboard Dock for iPad ("incompatible" with the iPad 2 anyway)

We were "advice" to use the Apple Wireless Keyboard instead.  Some visible customized keys are definitely missing - Home and Lock keys. 

But we use the 'Home' key/button quite frequently, is there a way to "mimic" or "map" the 'Home' button key to the Apple Wireless Keyboard?

I would think that now that we are "encourage" to use it, there are some empty Fn keys on the keyboard - F5 and F6, maybe future iOS updates can allow us to do that?

Thanks and cheers

iMac 27, Mac OS X (10.6.7), iPhone 4 32Gb | iPad 3G 64Gb
  • TGreg Level 2 Level 2 (245 points)
    May 2, 2011 7:55 PM (in response to howwow)

As of right now I haven't found a way to do some keyboard short-cuts on the iPad. All we can do is pray that they show up in iOS updates, fingers crossed. Hope this is helpful.

• 50tonrobot Calculating status...
    Feb 1, 2012 1:05 PM (in response to howwow)

When using the apple wireless keyboard in conjuction with the ncase orgami iPad stand (in portrait mode) it is very hard to reach the home button on the iPad.  Seems like bad design from all aspects. Not something Apple is known for.

• Meg St._Clair Level 8 Level 8 (37,450 points)
    Feb 1, 2012 2:32 PM (in response to howwow)

I use the ZaggFolio case/keyboard. It works beautifully. You might want to give it a look.

• 50tonrobot Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

It does... and it has a home button...  But I already spent my money at the Apple store; and I want an Apple solution.  All I want is to know what keys I can press to simulate the home key.  The f3 key would be a perfect solution, if I could map it accordingly.

I appologize if I am coming off as rude; but I don't see how your suggestion helps my current problem other than to give Apple yet another excuse to ignore this problem.

• Meg St._Clair Level 8 Level 8 (37,450 points)

You will note, I was not replying to you.

• as087 Calculating status...
    Mar 27, 2012 9:42 AM (in response to howwow)

• dx-zone Calculating status...
    Apr 24, 2012 1:21 PM (in response to howwow)

I have an IconiaTab Acer (AKOOLB) Bluetooth Keyboard paired with the iPad 3 and this keyboard comes with a HOME inplace of the COMMAND key if you were using a Mac Keyboard and the thing is that this HOME key really does bring you to the HOME screen in the iPad 3 and also if you double press this HOME key it shows you the apps in the dock of the iPad 3. This IconiaTab keyboard also have a SEARCH key inplace of the F2 key and when you press that key it moves you to the SEARCH screen in the iPad 3. The ALT key in this IconiaTab keyboard also does the same functions of the ALT/OPTION key in a Mac keyboard.

I also have a Mac Keyboard paired with this iPad 3 and the question is...

How can we re-map the unused keys in the MAC keyboard to go to HOME, SEARCH, Lock the iPad or even invoke the Camera from a single keyboard key?

It seems that it all depends on the keyboard mapping but how can we re-map the MAC keyboard's un-used keys to access the iPad extra functions? Why does a non-apple keyboard is able to map the HOME key to the HOME button in the iPad but a MAC keyboard does not?

• chris11ferret Calculating status...
    May 30, 2012 2:58 PM (in response to dx-zone)

I know right, how can an Apple keyboard not be compatible with Apple "It just doesn't work" how can Logitech other companies make Apple keyboard layouts "That just work"with Apple products. Now, I am a big Apple fan but I do love Logitech's solar lineup.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.