Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home button - Apple Wireless Keyboard with iPad 2

Hello all.

I am now using the new iPad 2, and with it, the discontinuation of the Keyboard Dock for iPad ("incompatible" with the iPad 2 anyway)

We were "advice" to use the Apple Wireless Keyboard instead. Some visible customized keys are definitely missing - Home and Lock keys.

But we use the 'Home' key/button quite frequently, is there a way to "mimic" or "map" the 'Home' button key to the Apple Wireless Keyboard?

I would think that now that we are "encourage" to use it, there are some empty Fn keys on the keyboard - F5 and F6, maybe future iOS updates can allow us to do that?

Thanks and cheers

iMac 27, Mac OS X (10.6.7), iPhone 4 32Gb | iPad 3G 64Gb

Posted on May 2, 2011 7:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2017 2:55 AM

Why you don't just press CMD + H?

It takes you to iPad Home Screen... 🙂

9 replies

Feb 1, 2012 2:43 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

It does... and it has a home button... But I already spent my money at the Apple store; and I want an Apple solution. All I want is to know what keys I can press to simulate the home key. The f3 key would be a perfect solution, if I could map it accordingly.

I appologize if I am coming off as rude; but I don't see how your suggestion helps my current problem other than to give Apple yet another excuse to ignore this problem.

Apr 24, 2012 1:21 PM in response to howwow

I have an IconiaTab Acer (AKOOLB) Bluetooth Keyboard paired with the iPad 3 and this keyboard comes with a HOME inplace of the COMMAND key if you were using a Mac Keyboard and the thing is that this HOME key really does bring you to the HOME screen in the iPad 3 and also if you double press this HOME key it shows you the apps in the dock of the iPad 3. This IconiaTab keyboard also have a SEARCH key inplace of the F2 key and when you press that key it moves you to the SEARCH screen in the iPad 3. The ALT key in this IconiaTab keyboard also does the same functions of the ALT/OPTION key in a Mac keyboard.

I also have a Mac Keyboard paired with this iPad 3 and the question is...

How can we re-map the unused keys in the MAC keyboard to go to HOME, SEARCH, Lock the iPad or even invoke the Camera from a single keyboard key?

It seems that it all depends on the keyboard mapping but how can we re-map the MAC keyboard's un-used keys to access the iPad extra functions? Why does a non-apple keyboard is able to map the HOME key to the HOME button in the iPad but a MAC keyboard does not?

Home button - Apple Wireless Keyboard with iPad 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.