Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PDFs not displaying in Safari 5

I am using Safari 5.0.5. When I click on a link to a PDF file, or enter a URL for a PDF in the address bar, a black screen is displayed. There is no PDF toolbar.

Here is a link that does not work for me in Safari but works in Firefox:

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/esv/esv21/09-0354.pdf

( I have many others - none work in Safari)

I read a tip in these discussions about trashing the downloads.plist file but this does exist in my [home]/library/safari folder.

iMac Intel + Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on May 2, 2011 10:40 PM

5 replies

May 3, 2011 12:21 AM in response to Michael Paine

I didn't have any problems with that link.

Right or control click a PDF file you already have on your hard drive then click Get Info.

In the Get Info panel click the pop up menu next to: Open with.

Select Safari then click: Change All.

FYI... there are two libraries. One is MacintoshHD/Library the other is Macintosh/User (your name) / Library / Safari.

May 3, 2011 2:54 AM in response to Michael Paine

Hi

it sounds very much as if you have a plugin trying to handle pdf's - rather than the built-in support that Safari uses by default.

Quit any browsers, look in HD/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ and Home/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ and move or trash any 'pdf...' or 'adobe pdf...' plugins you find in either place.

I don't see that changing file associations in Finder could affect what happens completely within Safari.

PDFs not displaying in Safari 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.