Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Red circle, minus sign on folders--yet I have complete access! ???

My external hard drive's folders unexpectedly have the right-hand corner red circle with a minus sign on them. Strangely, though, I can open them, see the file list, and open particular files within them. I can even add new files to them--all without any message, block, etc. When I check the permissions on the folders, they are the same as on my MacBook Pro's internal hard drive!

What's going on?

If this matters at all, I had installed Snow Leopard on the external hard drive. Yesterday, I "cloned" my documents and a bunch of other folders to the drive using Carbon Copy Cloner (a great back up program, by the way).

As part of my trouble-shooting, I tried changing the permissions for the umbrella user folder and applied those to the enclosed items. When that didn't change the minus sign, I also did it, separately, for the desktop folder, adding administrator permission-- and that pesky red minus sign remained!

MacBook Pro (early fall 2008), Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 3, 2011 3:35 AM

3 replies

May 3, 2011 4:41 AM in response to AstroMacMan

The minus sign is there because you installed Snow Leopard on the external drive.

Essentially Snow Leopard has assigned its own permissions to certain folders you would not want to access unless you are using Snow Leopard itself.

You can really mess up Snow Leopard's own system by accessing said folders, unless they are ones you created yourself. Snow Leopard probably needed access to those folders for particular data files to be able to be accessed by some of its applications.

Nov 16, 2011 10:00 AM in response to a brody

iBook G4

OS 10.4.11

1.5 GB Ram

55 GB HD

1 150 GB Acomdata Ext HD

2 1 TB Western Digital Ext HD

Hi,

I hope this is the appropriate place to post that I have just had this almost exact same result from CCC cloning my Mac HD to a partition in a Western Digital 1 TB Ext HD: Minus signs in a red circle after the folders, but it seems all the data was backed up correctly.

I use the 150 GB Acomdata ext HD to boot up from and to do my work on because of the limited 55 GB space on the IBook. Thus the iBook provides the computer and the Acomdata is the startup drive.

The Acomdata to WD clone went fine with no red circle minus signs on the clone folders.

With CCC absolutely everything that is in the Mac HD is backed up. I should be able to boot from this back up and CCC says I can (in the backing up window, not in Bombich's CCC help pages. He knows about it.) but since two of my ext drives are WD, I can't boot up from them. I didn't know this when I bought the drives. I do the cloning to them because at least I have all my material saved.

1. Why did I get the minus signs in red circles?

2. Is it a good backup/clone regardless of the signs?

3. Is there a work around so I can boot up from the WD?

I'm going to bring up the Western Digital inability to boot with WD and/or with a WD forum, and with CCC. Has anyone done that?

Thanks,

Rafael

Nov 16, 2011 11:06 AM in response to Rafael Montserrat1

Hi Rafael, feel free to start a new question to get the most helpers on it.

1. Tough to tell, When you do a Get Info on one of those folders, what is reported for all 3 Rights & Privileges.

2. Likely good files, but you can't be sure if you can't boot from it.

3. Not too likely...

The WD My Books have had far less than glowing reviews for Macs...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1543028

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2191614&tstart=0

http://x704.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3219&p=42023&hilit=western+digital#p420 23

http://x704.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2939&p=34120&hilit=western+digital#p3412 0

The following external hard drives are bootable on Intel-based Macintosh computers systems through USB:

• My Book Essential Edition

• My Book Essential Edition 2.0

• My Book Home Edition

• My Book Mirror Edition

• My Book Office Edition

• My Book Premium Edition

• My Book Premium Edition II

• My Book Premium ES Edition

• My Book Pro Edition

• My Book Pro Edition II

• My Book Studio Edition

• My Book Studio Edition II

• My Passport Studio

The following external hard drives are bootable on Intel-based Macintosh computers systems through FireWire (1394a/b):

• My Book Home Edition

• My Book Mirror Edition

• My Book Office Edition

• My Book Premium Edition

• My Book Pro Edition

• My Book Pro Edition II

• My Book Studio Edition

• My Passport Studio

The following external hard drives are bootable on Power PC based Macintosh computers systems through FireWire (1394a/b):

• WD My Book Premium Edition

• WD My Book Pro Edition

The following external hard drives are not bootable on Power PC based Macintosh computers systems through USB/FireWire 1394(a/b):

• My Book Essential Edition

• My Book Essential Edition 2.0

• My Book Home Edition

• My Book Mirror Edition

• My Book Office Edition

• My Book Pro Edition II

• My Book Studio Edition

• My Passport Studio

• My Passport Elite

• My Passport Essential

• WD Passport

• WD Passport (Silver)

Red circle, minus sign on folders--yet I have complete access! ???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.