Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

XServe with no video but services and SSH still work. Help!

I have 2 XServes that have this issue. I think they are both XServe 1,1s. One of them is running Tiger Server (10.4.11), and one is on Snow Leopard Server (10.6.7). After being left on for awhile (sometimes a few hours, sometimes a few days) they will not display video, either locally with a physical monitor or through screen sharing. It comes back up only if the server is physically rebooted, and the screen will come up and work fine for some time, then stop working again. To be more specific, the local monitor will remain in standby mode no matter what, and the Screen Sharing session will authenticate (it allows me to put in the user name and password, and will tell me if I'm using an incorrect password and not go forward), and after authentication is successful, nothing comes up; not even a black screen or anything. SSH and all other services are still working, and aside from not seeing anything on the screen all else appears to be ok. What's going on with my servers?

Posted on May 3, 2011 8:40 AM

12 replies

May 9, 2011 4:33 PM in response to dallasjns

I'm kind of at a loss except for general troubleshooting. This behavior (at least on the monitor side) usually happens when a video card gets miscommunication from a monitor about what "acceptable resolutions" are if displays something crazy, but you don't have monitors connected in this case.

1) Does this happen if you leave a monitor or KVM attached to the mini-DV connector?

2) Does it happen if you remove the connector?

2a) Or if the VGA is always connected to the DVI remove that.

3) Can you check the resolution via ssh to sanity check it? (I haven't ever done this - it should be possible without programming but maybe not. You might have to invoke a program from the command line to do this.)

3a) Can you change or reset the video from the command line and does it help?

4) Is there anything in logs about video or resolution or display changes?

Wish I had more to offer but this is what I would check if I was trying to track this down,

=Tod

May 9, 2011 11:17 PM in response to Tod Kuykendall

Thanks for the input Tod. The problem with that troubleshooting route is that it would only work if it were simply a monitor/display out issue. The problem is that when I use Screen Sharing, it allows me to log in, but won't display anything there either; it won't even pop up the window, it just stays open in the dock and shows nothing. I don't think it's a hardware issue, but I cannot find anywhere in the software that points to the issue. I can SSH in to the server to do functions, and if I give it a reboot via SSH it works just fine on reboot. I'm an ACSP with 10 years of experience on Macs and 15 on PCs. Has anyone out there experienced this same issue and resolved it?

Jul 5, 2011 6:14 PM in response to dallasjns

Almost identical symptoms here, with G5 Xserve running Leopard Server (10.5).

Similarities and differences as follows:

1. Screen Sharing authenticates but fails to open a screen-hosting window.

2. If I'm connected to the Xserve via LogMeIn at the time the video services fail, the server connection terminates.

3. If I reconnect via LogMeIn, after being disconnected, it will authenticate but give a black screen.

4. If I connect a display directly to the Xserve (via DVI or VGA) I get a blue desktop screen, but nothing else.

5. The Xserve appears greyed-out in Server Admin, with no services listed, but the 'disconnected' icon disappears.

6. Server Monitor continues to connect to the server and reports properly on all categories.

7. All services continue otherwise intact, and the server will continue to accept an SSH connection.

Jul 8, 2011 12:35 PM in response to Rohan Moore

It may be the video card going out. I worked with a Mac Pro yesterday running OS X Server 10.4.11 and I had very similar symptoms. First the screen would work for a couple minutes and then it was impossible to use, either locally or via Remote Desktop, yet SSH DID work.

When I removed the video card, I was able to connect via Remote Desktop and resume services. I am currently ordering a replacement video card and managing the server via Remote Desktop.

Sep 8, 2011 3:58 PM in response to Aaron P

Identical symptoms here, using intel xserve and OS Server 10.5

One of our xserves has been showing some graphical glitching for a while. I have been assuming there is an issue with the onboard graphics card. More recently, the graphics have been freezing at various points during startup or shortly thereafter. After graphics freeze, all services are still operating. Remote desktop software connects but only displays a black screen. Same behavior ensues when starting up from the Install CD.

After replacing the mini DVI adapter, there is still some graphical glitching, but the actual freezing seems to have stopped. I'm guessing I was right about the video card being on its way out, but perhaps the freezing is a separate issue? An issue centered around the DVI port and its relationship with onboard video?

Thickening the plot, today I noticed our OTHER xserve exhibiting similar behavior. Not the glitching, but a hard video crash. I realized that the mini-dvi cable may have been slightly unseated (thank you screwless monitor plug). I am used to graphics operating independently of the plug being in or out. I'm normally able to hot-swap vga cables with no problem.

I also didn't realize that graphical remote desktop solutions are dependent on the video card working, but that part makes sense, at least.

What doesnt make sense to me is why the actual video chip quits functioning when there is a problem with the output. As with others in this thread, it takes a full reboot in order to get the graphics card outputting again.

Is this expected behavior? You can normally hotswap a mini-dvi cable, right? This issue is a stumper.

XServe with no video but services and SSH still work. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.