Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Merge creates blank document

After choosing an envelope template, I create a merge text box filled with data from a Numbers document. When I select Mail merge from the Edit menu, I'm prompted to choose the mail merge source and then I choose to create a new document (in stead of printer). The new document is created and opens to reveal my, say 30 envelopes, are now 60 envelopes. There is a blank envelope in between each envelope I've created. Trying to delete every other envelope doesn't work as it appears to be linked, therefore, deleting the one I created as well as the blank one.

What is it I can do to prevent the creation of the blank envelope in between the actual document?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 3, 2011 10:26 AM

17 replies

May 3, 2011 10:51 AM in response to robinfromlexington

Thank you for your prompt reply.

From the template chooser, I choose an envelope template, "traditional envelope". There are two text boxes present. There are no other documents present. The document I see is the envelope.

I create merge fields in the address box and I adjust the text in the return address box to reflect my return address. Everything at this point looks fine. At the bottom of the document, it shows that this is page 1 of 1.

When I touch edit/ mail merge/ numbers document and new document, it creates a new document file with the 30 envelopes and an additional blank envelope in between. If I print it, it spits out a blank envelope every other time.

May 3, 2011 1:08 PM in response to robinfromlexington

It's clear from the images that Fruhulda's intuition is correct. Something doesn't fit on one page after the merge and is forcing some of the content (invisible) to the second page.

Adjust the master Pages document to leave more room at the end of the page so it won't spill over during the merge. Also, with Show Invisibles turned on, make sure there are no extra Return characters, etc.

Jerry

May 3, 2011 1:30 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

Thank you for all of your help so far.

I can see that in the screenie of the merge document, there is an invisible character of some sort on the second page of the document. It shows as some sort of line ended with some sort of character.

When I look at the document in its original form with "show invisibles" on, there is nothing there.

User uploaded file

If I start the document from scratch, I can create it without the extra pages. I beleive it is in the creation of the envelope templates. It seems to happen to each of the envelope templates.

Again, thank you for your help and continued support.

May 3, 2011 1:41 PM in response to robinfromlexington

Robin,

Look carefully at your screen shot that shows the invisible character that pushed to the following page. Note that the descenders of the characters in the merged content are cut off. They don't fit. Knock down the font size a notch in your master document and try again. I'll bet it won't take much to get everything to fit.

Jerry

May 4, 2011 9:07 AM in response to fruhulda

Fruhulda,

I'm agreeing with you and expressing my lack of understanding of why it happened, beyond the obvious. There is a vertical bar on the second page that I don't recognize, but it's nothing that should be taking up space. Our suggestion to pull back the size of the first page content was, in my mind, a workaround to a problem that shouldn't occur.

Jerry

May 4, 2011 9:31 AM in response to Jerrold Green1

Well, it is always that way when something take up to much space invisibles and text will spill over. That is the nature of the word processing document. Envelopes are handled in the same way. One has "just" to know how to correct it. Many users are not curious enough or has not yet learnt enough to find out how features works in applications, merging for example.

Mail Merge creates blank document

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.