Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spell Check in New Forums- How The Heck does it work?

Can somebody please tell me how the spell check works in this new forum format? I click on the abc icon and it does nothing. I do a two finger click on a word that is misspelled and it give me Insert Options. I really like the new format but hate the spell check. Can anyone offer advise? Thanks.

Posted on May 3, 2011 1:21 PM

7 replies

May 4, 2011 4:31 AM in response to Colin Robinson

Ok guys part of one answer helped. Colins suggestion of using the left key on the mouse while the cursor is under the red lined word gave me an idea. Not sure if many others use the Two Finger Click option you can set up so Two Fingers Tapped is equal to a left mouse click but I find it very useful. To see what I'm referring to go to your Mouse Pad in Apple >Preferences and see the Two Finger Click video. This is much easier than what most people do which is the Control Click for an equivalent left mouse click. Anyway, Colins suggestion of the Left Mouse click made me try the better known option of Control Click for an equivalent Left Mouse click and that gave me the Spell Check. Not sure why the Two Finger Tap doesn't work here as it does throughout all other Apple products but at least I can use the Spell Check now.Thanks for your ideas.

May 4, 2011 9:24 PM in response to Jim Bridger

The built-in ASC spell checker is -- to put it kindly -- quirky. First, you must turn it on using the 'abc' tool on the right in the editor toolbar. (When it's on, it highlights.) But it won't stay turned on if you click on the tool before you enter any text -- it will just tell you that no misspellings were found & won't stay on. It also sometimes fails to check the last word if followed by a space. You can tell it to ignore misspellings, but you can't tell it to learn words because the spell-checking dictionary is actually on the servers running the site, not on your Mac or PC.

But from your remarks, you probably aren't even using the built-in checker. Instead, I suspect you are trying to use the far superior system-wide one built into OS X. The problem with that is the ASC editing tools are powered by Javascript supplied by the Jive SBS software running the site. Because that is platform independent it doesn't know anything about OS X's contextual menu (which includes suggestions for misspellings, the Dictionary lookup, & so on).

So to make a long story short, what happens when you try to right click on a word the OS X checker has underlined in red, instead you get the Javascript's response to a right click, which brings up the editor's insert/alignment popup menu instead of the OS X contextual menu.

The solution is to control click on the word -- believe it or not, within the ASC editor window a right click & a control click are not the same thing! You literally have to hold down the control key on the keyboard when you click to bypass the Javascript's right click response.

To make things that much more confusing, this only applies if the pointer is not over empty space in the editor window, which in this case excludes lines that have any text on them, including invisible text like spaces or returns. (To see what I mean, drag the tab at the bottom right of the editor window down so there is a lot of empty space below what you have typed. In this empty area, right & control clicks both bring up the OS X contextual menu, but anywhere in the text you have typed, they behave differently.)

In short, the problem is not that Apple has changed how the buttons or clicks work, it is that the new software that runs the site (not developed by Apple) does.

Hope this helps.

May 5, 2011 3:58 AM in response to R C-R

Thanks for the detailed reply. I finally did figure out the Ctrl Click option but it took a long time to figure it out since I've become so accustomed to the Two Finger Click on the Macbook Pro mouse pad. Too bad Apple doesn't add this little note to the icon via a mouse over window or something. It drove me crazy for several weeks.

www.naturalexposures.com

Spell Check in New Forums- How The Heck does it work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.