Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I use an actual synth through garageband

I have a Juno-gi and I do not know how to get garageband to recognize the synth. I have it plugged in through the USB port.

GarageBand '08, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 3, 2011 3:34 PM

3 replies

May 3, 2011 4:01 PM in response to jakestandley

I assume you've already tried the usual stuff like turning the synth off/on again, unplugging/replugging the USB cable, restarting Garageband, and restarting your Mac.

If none of this works, then check the Audio/MIDI settings for your Mac. Go to Applications -> Utilities -> Audio/MIDI Setup.

Select MIDI Devices and click Rescan MIDI. If your device doesn't pop up, click Add Device and fill out the necessary info to add it manually.

If your synth already appears in the list of MIDI Devices, select it and click Test Setup to see if it is working correctly.

May 3, 2011 9:11 PM in response to jakestandley

jakestandley wrote:

I have a Juno-gi and I do not know how to get garageband to recognize the synth. I have it plugged in through the USB port.

I'm not sure if you're talking about using your synth as a MIDI controller or a traditional synth. If you're talking about using it as a MIDI controller, that's what Burgundia's instructions help out with.

However, if you are talking about how to get the actual synth sounds out of your Juno-gi into GB, you would need to do that using the audio outputs of the synth plugged into the audio input of your mac (or even better, an audio interface if you have one), and record it on a "real instrument track."

How do I use an actual synth through garageband

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.