Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I insert a visible margin on right hand side of a page

I am trying to insert a margin that is both visible and "usable". What I mean by usable is that I want to use the space for making note references for future reference.

Thanks in advance for any considerations to resolving the issue

Cheers

ST

Posted on May 3, 2011 6:47 PM

6 replies

May 3, 2011 7:17 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

Jerry,

Thanks for your response. Your idea certainly creates the effect of what I am ultimately trying to achieve. I will try and explain a little more.

I am busy making study notes which I would like for reference in the future. I am trying to create a template (facing pages that will be filed in an A5 binder) which will allow me to type study notes on the left side of the page, while on the right hand side should be a small column (i.e. a margin or something) where I can write down a refernce like a page number or something.

I hope this makes a little more sense...

Thanks

ST

May 4, 2011 7:34 AM in response to SKYTORT

ST,

You have options.

If you leave room for text boxes by having a large right margin, you can add a small, just right size, box for each comment. That was what I was getting at. It can be tedious adding and positioning those boxes, and I suppose that's what you might object to.

I hate this second idea, but I'll put it out there anyway. One skinny page-length text box on the right, filled with Return characters. Drop your Text Insertion Cursor wherever you want to make a comment. Delete as many Return characters as you displaced in making your comment or your column of returns will outgrow your column space.

Thirdly. A two column main text layer, big column on left, smaller on right. Do all your content authoring on the left and Insert > Page Break when you get to the bottom of the page so your content doesn't automatically flow to the right hand column. At a point just above where you would like to make a comment on the right side, place the text insertion cursor in the text on the left and Insert > Layout Break. Also Insert > Layout Break just below the section you are commenting on. Just above the second Layout Break, Insert > Column Break. Type your comment into the Right Column, where the cursor will have moved to.

The fourth option is the table. Some don't like the table option because it requires that you start a new row before you reach the page bottom margin. If you don't, all the current cell's content will jump to the next page when you run out of space at the bottom of the page.

Jerry

How do I insert a visible margin on right hand side of a page

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.