Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Folder icons which preview its contents.

Hi all, a work friend of mine who has recently purchased a IMac and was asking me for support on folder icons

Basically he says on a Windows PC a folder full of jpeg pictures would make the folders preview before opening it a image of one of those pictures inside but as I know on a mac its a blue one or a other colour you choose, is there a way of making your folders preview whats inside?

IMac, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on May 3, 2011 10:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2011 10:36 PM

Folder X-Ray mode in Quick Look

Quit the Finder (using Activity Monitor, Terminal, etc.), then open Terminal and copy and paste this command:

defaults write com.apple.finder QLEnableXRayFolders 1

Relaunch Finder or reboot.

You can read more http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20090912030240376

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2011 10:36 PM in response to Uncookedchefy

Folder X-Ray mode in Quick Look

Quit the Finder (using Activity Monitor, Terminal, etc.), then open Terminal and copy and paste this command:

defaults write com.apple.finder QLEnableXRayFolders 1

Relaunch Finder or reboot.

You can read more http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20090912030240376

Nov 29, 2013 12:39 AM in response to BrownLeopard

Doesn't seem to work in Mavericks. It accdepts the command in terminal, but when Quick Look is used, I just get an image of a big blue folder and next to it I'm told how many files are in in, what size, and when the folder was last modifed. No preview of what's inside the folder.

I just find it astonishing that, in order to activate even this feature, I have to go into the terminal and enter a command rather than click on an option in the menu as you would do with Windows. What's wrong with Apple?

Folder icons which preview its contents.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.