12 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2011 1:48 PM by tonefox
timmy toad Level 1 Level 1
expertise.notebooks
Notebooks

using iTunes i have just done my first "backup", it all happened so quickly i hardly saw it happen, out of curiosity i thought i would find the "backed up" files on my MacBookPro ! but where are they ?.

I only want to confirm that the back up has actually happened, then i will back up my MacBookPro, confident in the knowledge that i have ALL the contents of my Wife's iPad backed up with TimeMachine as well as my MacBookPro.

tim

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), iPad 2, iOS 4.3.2
Solved by Jim VanLeeuwen on May 4, 2011 3:31 PM Solved
Timmy, the ~ symbol Demo uses means to look in your user account/library.  To get to your user account, click on the house symbol under places in the left sidebar when viewing your HD in Finder.
Reply by DyreLogan on May 4, 2011 3:07 AM Helpful
You can easily locate the backups you have done under Edit/Preferences at the top left when you open iTunes, then choosing the Device tab. You will see a list of all your Device backups beginning with the most recent backup at the top of the list. Tells you the date and time of the backup.
Reply by Demo on May 4, 2011 3:19 AM Helpful
This is where the backup files are stored on your Mac.Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/ This is an article about the iPad backups.http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4079

All replies

• DyreLogan Level 1 Level 1
    expertise.ipad
    iPad

You can easily locate the backups you have done under Edit/Preferences at the top left when you open iTunes, then choosing the Device tab. You will see a list of all your Device backups beginning with the most recent backup at the top of the list. Tells you the date and time of the backup.

• Demo Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.ipad
    iPad

This is where the backup files are stored on your Mac.

Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

This is an article about the iPad backups.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4079

• timmy toad Level 1 Level 1
    expertise.notebooks
    Notebooks

hi DEMO thanks for the the suggestion of where the backup should be, i wonder should i be worried ?, i havent got a folder my the name MobileSync in the Application Support folder !.

I had a look at your other link, yes that does help a bit, just confirms that i should have that folder in Application Support  ???

expertise.notebooks
    Notebooks

Hi DyreLogan, thanks for that info, yeah i got the backup listed, so i should have the folder/file that DEMO mentions above LOL.

tim

• Jim VanLeeuwen Level 6 Level 6

Timmy, the ~ symbol Demo uses means to look in your user account/library.  To get to your user account, click on the house symbol under places in the left sidebar when viewing your HD in Finder.

• Demo Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.ipad
    iPad

Jim VanLeeuwen wrote:

My fault for not clarifying that. Thanks Jim!

• FishComputer Level 4 Level 4

wait, since its your first backup, there is nothing on it, correct? so it did not have to do anything to backup

expertise.notebooks
    Notebooks

Thanks lads, i can see the folder now, i WAS looking in the wrong place of course !.

Why i was saying it was my first Back Up because I am a little confused about the DIFFERENCE between a SYNC and a BACKUP, i had done a FEW SYNC's before but i havent knowingly done a (full) BACKUP before, so maybe they are both the same !

tim

• tonefox Level 6 Level 6

You're not done yet: make sure you keep a backup of the hard drive that holds the iPad backup!  If your computer dies, you will have potentially lost the content of your iPad as well.

expertise.notebooks
    Notebooks

Kool, tonefox  i have backed up my LapTop using Time Machine, which i would think also contains my iPad Backup, so you are suggesting i backup my Time Machine Back Up !!???? Kool a good idea buddy.

tim

• tonefox Level 6 Level 6

It depends on your level of paranoia. It certainly isn't unheard of. 

Unless you've got genuinely important stuff in there (as opposed to your high scores in your favourite game and the phone number of your pizza supplier) you're probably good to go.

But then again...

expertise.notebooks
    Notebooks

Gr8, thanks.

tim