Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express: error code another device on the network is using your computer’s IP address

I have set up the airport express now I get an error reading 'another device on the network is using your computer’s IP address 192.168.1.64. ' and I am unable to access the internet. Any suggestions?

Posted on May 4, 2011 12:23 AM

10 replies

May 4, 2011 3:22 PM in response to Jader04

With the Airport configured in Bridge Mode, it simply acts as a "pass through" for any configuration settings that your Motorola has assigned.

Any IP address issues that you see are being caused by the Motorola device. Suggest that you check the DHCP server for proper IP address assignment. The AirPort has nothing to do with IP address assignment on your network when it is in Bridge Mode, as you have confirmed.

May 4, 2011 4:25 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Well, I think I may have resolved the IP address issue by entering in PPPoE information. Now I get a message by the WiFi signal "looking for PPPoE host." Is this now an issue with my internet provider? When I go to the router's home page it confirms that it is a PPPoE and I am using the correct username and password. (interesting note-my wireless printer is not having problems finding the network and I was able without problems!?)

May 4, 2011 4:43 PM in response to Jader04

If you look for a model number on the modem, is it 2210....?

If yes, I know this modem well. It is designed to hook up to a single computer and you enter in the PPPoE information (user name and password) in a web browser interface.

But, this modem does not work well when you hook it up to a router. In this case, the correct configuration of the modem is to place it in a setting of either "PPP is on the computer/router" or Bridge Mode.

Then, you have to enter the PPPoE information into tthe setup of the AirPort Express.

This is all a bit tricky, but I know how to do this correctly if you want a step by step guide.

May 4, 2011 4:50 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Yes, my crappy modem model # does start with 2210...

I think I have played around with the setting you are talking about but I may have not done it in the right steps. I would REALLY appreciate a step by step guide 🙂 and thanks for all your help so far.

(PS-Is there a modem that you suggest would be better? My ISP is ATT.

May 4, 2011 5:22 PM in response to Jader04

The modem is fine, it's just not designed to work with a router without some re-configuration.

Connect the modem directly to your computer using an Ethernet cable

Pull up your browser and enter 192.168.1.254 into the address bar and press enter. That should pull up the modem configuration pages

Look for an Advanced tab on the left. You may need to enter the modem access code when you do this. It is on the bottom of the modem

Click the PPP Location Tab

Change this setting to "PPP is on the computer (or router)..... or, if you do not see this setting, there should be a setting for Bridge Mode.

Make your selection and click Save or similar and modem will restart with the new settings

Important....if you need to get back to the original modem settings again, you will need to first hold the reset button in on the back of the modem for 10 seconds, then let it restart. That will get it back to original factory settings if you need to get back to those settings.

With the AirPort Express powered up, hold in the reset button on the device for 10-12 seccnds and then release the reset button. Allow 40-45 seconds for the Express to restart at which time it will slowly blink amber

Connect the Ethernet cable from the modem to the AirPort Express

Make sure you are logged onto the wireless signal for the AirPort Express. It provides a temporary network with a name like Apple Network xxxxxx. Log on to that network. There is no password.

Open AirPort Utility - Click Manual Setup

Click the Base Station tab/label located just under the row of icons to assign a name to the Express, a device password (write that down) and adjust Time Zone settings

Click the Wireless tab next to the Base Station tab

Wireless Mode = Create a wireless network

Wireless Network Name = Your choice

Check mark next to Allow network to be extended

Radio Mode = 802.11n 802.11b/g compatible

Channel = Automatic

Security = WPA2 Personal

Password = Your choice

Confirm Password

Click the Internet icon

Connect Using = PPPoE

User Name = probably your email address with your provider

Password = password with your provider

Verify Password

Service Name....Leave this completely blank

Connection = Always On

Disconnect if Idle = Never

Click Update at the lower right and allow 40-45 seconds to restart. You may see a message about "setup over WAN". Click to ignore.

As soon as you see the message in AirPort Utility that the settings have been stored...Close AirPort Utility.

Wait for a green light on the AirPort Express and then click the fan shaped AirPort icon at the top of the computer screen to look for the new network that you just named. Log on and enter the password.

You should have an Internet connection.

If not, power everything down. Start the modem first, then the Express, then your computers

Airport Express: error code another device on the network is using your computer’s IP address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.