Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Associated Production Music (Commercial use)

I just wanted to check to be sure. I have made a couple of films for in-house marketing of the company I work for and I wanted to double check the license for the APmusic. The films I have made for our company are up on youtube and one of the films got flagged up as the audio belonging to someone else.

User uploaded file

This has caused a debate in the office as to the meaning of the wording in the license. I just wanted to clarify this:

"Part 2, Section D, Item c of the FCS License:-

+c) Soundtrack Pro. You may use the Apple and third party audio file content (including, but not limited to, the built-in sound files, samples and impulse responses) (collectively the “Audio Content”), contained in or otherwise included with the Apple Software, on a royalty-free basis, to create your own original soundtracks for your film, video and audio projects. You may broadcast and/or distribute your own soundtracks that were created using the Audio Content, however, individual audio files may not be commercially or otherwise distributed on a standalone basis, nor may they be repackaged in whole or in part as audio samples, sound files or music beds.+"

In my understanding this means that once you have bought FCS you can use the APmusic or any of the Sountrack Pro Loops for any use be it private or corporate, whether your video is an advert or just a short film. I read this as, the only thing you cant do with the Loops is sell them individually or as a collective.

However various other people in the office think that it involves any use where the files are distributed in a commercial context. Therefore our use of the APmusic on a film intended to advertise our services contravenes the license, and therefore needs to be taken down.

I have noticed other people asking similar questions but none that I have seen request confirmation on the rules for commercial FCS users.

If someone could give me a more black/white answer on this that would be great

Soundtrack Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 4, 2011 6:16 AM

1 reply

May 4, 2011 6:28 AM in response to Grahamoso

Funny-- the second time this has surfaced today.

I had the same issue a while back. I do a lot of business with APM and called my rep about it-- Yes, APM licensed the loops to Apple. Yes the loops are royalty free. And yes you are reading the license correctly.

The trouble is that youtube contracts with another company to flag programs with copyrighted music. They're reading the metadata in your audio tracks, seeing the copyright and voila, you get pulled. It took me several belligerent e-mails, offers to send in copies of my licenses, etc and now they leave me alone.

It's a nice scam youtube is running-- if you read the fine print, youtube may in some instances slap advertising all over your videos in "compensation" for your "copyright infringement."

I'm not a lawyer and do not play one on TV-- this is just my experience. Call APM for further clarification. They're wonderful people, and they've got more music than you can believe--

Associated Production Music (Commercial use)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.