Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why cant I save some PDF files?

Why is it that for some PDF files under "Files" the "Save As..." function isnt working!

Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 4, 2011 7:47 AM

10 replies

May 13, 2011 6:38 PM in response to Ronda Wilson

Hi Ronda,

I have a similar question to the one you solved, re. saving as a PDF from a Word document.

I've always followed the path in Word: File > Print > PDF button > Save as PDF. I just bought my new iMac and have run all the software updates. I've still got OfficeMac X (2003 version).

When I tried to save my Word doc as a PDF, nothing happened. It didn't save at all, either as a PDF or any other format. Is this a compatibility issue? I use this function all the time, so if you can help me out it would be great!

Thanks,

Andrew

May 25, 2011 4:18 AM in response to Ronda Wilson

Ronda, Thanks again for your support. However, I would like to mention that doing it your way there is a particular issue. I have now realized it saves the document in question with the same file name, as the last document saved on that particular day, and not in the file name as you received te document!

This has a major implication, because you will not be able to quickly locate the document if you need it. The strange thing than is, you will discover the same document being listed in your "home account" Mac username folder in the file name as you receive it. I save all my documents that I donwload, into my download folder, and not into any other folder!

Do avoid this, one needs to specifically change / rename the document as one want it to be. But this greatly slows the speed of processing considering that few similar documents everyday!

Do you know a way to speed this process of saving PDF files, and only into one particular folder?

May 25, 2011 4:27 PM in response to Windspeed

You can change the name to anything you desire before saving it. It should automatically save as the document's own name. I usually add the date to the beginning of a title to quickly determine when I saved it. If you use the date in this form: 20110525, the PDFs will always be sorted according to date within a given folder.

You can create a folder specifically for saved PDFs and can create a number of folders within that folder, according to subject (or source), if you wish.

Why cant I save some PDF files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.