Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect wireless keyboard to iPad

Hi, I just bought an apple wireless keyboard for my iPad 2, does anyone know how can I connect the keyboard with my iPad? Thanks

iPad 2

Posted on May 4, 2011 10:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2017 5:28 PM

Hi. If the keyboard is connected to another device or computer, it will not pair. With an iOS device, you can just turn off Bluetooth to disconnect. Maybe you can do that on a computer also. Otherwise, you need to shut the computer off. The nominal range of Bluetooth is 35 feet (10 meters), so it will be hard to break the connection by distance.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2017 5:28 PM in response to euhuang

Hi. If the keyboard is connected to another device or computer, it will not pair. With an iOS device, you can just turn off Bluetooth to disconnect. Maybe you can do that on a computer also. Otherwise, you need to shut the computer off. The nominal range of Bluetooth is 35 feet (10 meters), so it will be hard to break the connection by distance.

May 4, 2011 11:19 AM in response to beifromsyracuse

• Go to Settings app
  • Select General
  • Make sure Bluetooth is turned on
  • Make sure your keyboard is in discovery mode (press the silver button on the right side of the keyboard - the green light will start flashing)
  • In the Bluetooth section on the iPad, you should see the wireless keyboard
  • Select the found keyboard to pair it with the iPad
  • You'll be asked to type a pairing code on the keyboard - if it's entered successfully, your keyboard will be paired with the iPad (or any iOS device with Bluetooth)
  • Note that when you are using the Bluetooth keyboard, the normal iPad keyboard does not appear - turn off Bluetooth or the external keyboard (press and hold the button on the right side of the Apple Wireless Keyboard), or travel outside the 10-15m range of Bluetooth to go back to using the regular iPad keyboard

Jun 7, 2011 3:59 PM in response to Julian Daniel

I have a related problem. I am trying to use the wireless keyboard from my iMac on my iPad but can't get the iPad to discover it. When I push the button on the side of the keyboard, the green light doesn't flash, it just goes on for a few seconds, then goes off. I am doing the pairing more than 15m away from the iMac so it should work shouldn't it? Do I need to actively un-pair it from the iMac first?

Dec 5, 2012 1:41 PM in response to Julian Daniel

In my experience with iOS 5.1.1 the sixth step is not correct: When I see the wireless keyboard in the device-list I have to wait until a message pops up to tell me a number to type with the keyboard. Doing so connects the keyboard to the iOS-device without doing the sixth step (selecting the keyboard in the device-list). If I do so _before_ the message pops up, iOS says it can't find the selected device.

Jul 1, 2013 1:35 PM in response to beifromsyracuse

I found that turnig the keyboard off, then holding down the power button until you see the iPad discovers the keyboard does the trick.

Be aware that once the keyboard is connected to the iPad, it is no longer connected to the original computer. So, if your iPad is connected and you are within bluetooth range of your computer, only the iPad will see the keyboard.Even turning the iAd off did not resolve this. You must go back and reconnect the keyboard to the computer. So, determine if the benefit is worth the connection issues each time.

Connect wireless keyboard to iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.