Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I move from one external drive to another, without the "Relocate Masters" command?

I have my masters referenced on an external hard drive, and I've been mirroring that drive with another so that I have a backup (the volume names were ApertureLib1 for the primary drive and Photo7 for the backup). I've filled that drive, so it will no longer be my primary master drive (i.e. all new masters going forward are going on a new, separate drive). I want to keep one of the two drives online and put the other away as an offsite backup.

The catch is that the primary drive (ApertureLib1) does not place nicely with my Lexar Firewire 400 CF reader; when I insert or eject a card, it has a habit of disconnecting itself. The backup drive (Photo7) does not exhibit this issue. So I decided that I'd just rename Photo7 to ApertureLib1 and be on my way; the folder containing all the masters (PhotoLib) is mirrored by using Arrsync (an rsync GUI), so all the files should be there.

Great theory, except that Aperture does not recognize the renamed Photo7 drive as ApertureLib1, despite the system seeing it as such (both in the Finder sidebar and showing up in /Volumes as "ApertureLib1"). The "locate referenced masters" dialog shows ApertureLib1 as 'offline' and does not give me any opportunity to point to the second drive as the master location.

I assume that Aperture is somehow tracking a separate unique identifier for the drive. Does anyone know what this might be and how I might convince it to treat the was-a-backup drive as being the One, True Location for this set of masters?

Many thanks.

(and I really don't want to use "relocate masters" because I'd first need to delete the exsiting copy on the second drive and then move over all of the images from the first drive, before copying them back to have a backup)

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Core i7 15"

Posted on May 4, 2011 11:27 AM

3 replies

May 4, 2011 12:29 PM in response to Kevin Broderick1

Hi Kevin,

I understand what you tried to do but it doesn't work that way. Swapping drive names will just mess things up.

You should be able to reconnect the files though: in the Locate Referenced Files dialog make sure you click the Show Reconnect Options button — this will give you access to all the connected drives. Locate one of the files and hit Reconnect All. Should do the trick.

Best

May 4, 2011 12:40 PM in response to Jade Leary

Initially I couldn't connect any files, but then I cleared the "Show only files not found" checkbox. At that point, I was able to select a file in the "Referenced files" list up top and the correct filesystem location below. This enabled the "Reconnect" and "Reconnect All" buttons; having chosen the latter, I think it's working now (reocnnecting 35,082 files, 1% complete at the moment).

How do I move from one external drive to another, without the "Relocate Masters" command?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.