Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes, mov Files, Iflicks and ATV2 - confused

OK, heres the tack

Have Mac mini, Itunes latest version, Iflicks paid for

Have in my itunes movies, 201 movies in the correct format .mov or m4v, and many with metadata nicely in there, collected by iflicks.

However, when I browse to the mini from the ATV2, only shows 104 movies, and doesnt show many with iflicks metadata

Now, I am not sure when I used iflicks last, and am not sure how I set it up, but

What are the best settings to use, if I already have mov files in Itunes, and do not wish to duplicate the original files, or copy them into the itunes media folder as they are all held on a 2TB external drive.

Somehow, when I choose Reference file setting in iflicks, the new metadata shows up lovely IN ITUNES, next to the original listed movie. (iflicks creates a reference file to that movie) but, this does not show in ATV2, and therefore only shows the original non-meta file)

Can someone help walk me through the iflicks thing, all my movies are i-tiunes compatible, as I get them as .m4v or .mov files.

The playlist in ATV2 - Recently added, hardly shows any new ones recently done. Whats changed??

Anyones help with this would be helpful, I have tried with Metax, but its so darn slow......

Or is there any alternative?

Kindest regards in advance for your thoughts..

matt

20" iMac + Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Ipad, Ipod T 2, Iphone4, Iphone 3Gs

Posted on May 4, 2011 1:04 PM

3 replies

May 4, 2011 4:45 PM in response to Matt And Sarah

Can someone help walk me through the iflicks thing, all my movies are i-tiunes compatible, as I get them as .m4v or .mov files.

Since you did not explain your typical work flow, I will simply explain what I do. I just upgraded to an 8-bay direct access RAID unit which I am using as my dedicated iTunes library drive. I keep all content consolidated on this drive. All files are targeted in a single compression format suitable for use one TV 1/2, iPhone 4, and iPad 1/2 devices. All files are compressed externally and are either already added to my iTunes library or added to the iTunes library using the iFlicks app. No files are duplicated.

To add metadata to files already in the the iTunes library:

1) I first select/highlight the files I wish to work with in the open iTunes listing

2) I then select the "Update Metadata of Selected using GUI" option

3) When the iFlicks widow opens, I ensure the "Add to iTunes" option is on and the "Move Original to Trash" option is off.

4) I then allow iFlicks to add metadata automatically if it can, modify file name/media category if needed to get metadata if not automatically recognized, and edit the metadata if necessary or desired

5) When satisfied that all files contain the correct metadata, I then press the "Start" button to transfer the updated metadata to the iTunes library.

In this case the metadata is normally copied to the file which appears unchanged within the iTunes library. If the metadata includes a name change to the file, then the library is updated accordingly with the files appearing in their renamed path location.

To add metadata to files not already in the iTunes library:

1) Ensure no files are selects in the iTunes listing and select the "Update Metadata of Selected using GUI" option

2) When the empty iFlicks window opens, ensure both the "Add to iTunes" and "Move Original to Trash" options are on

3) Drag 'n Drop the files you wish to add metadata to from their original location to the empty iFlicks window

4) I then allow iFlicks to add metadata automatically if it can, modify file name/media category if needed to get metadata if not automatically recognized, and edit the metadata if necessary or desired

5) When satisfied that all files contain the correct metadata, I then press the "Start" button to transfer the updated metadata to the iTunes library.

In this case, the metadata is incorporated with the original file, then the newly updated file is physically copied to iTunes, and lastly the original file is deleted from its original location. As this work flow requires the re-write of the entire file to the iTunes library, you will quickly note this operation takes much more time to accomplish.

As all of my files are prepared externally and either processed within the iTunes library or placed in a temporary "shared" location for transfer to the iTunes library, no files are converted/flattened/maintained by iFlicks and there is no need to create/use the default "iFlicks" or other folders. And, since all of the files are physically in the iTunes library and database, they all show up in the TV menus which may or may not be the case with some work flows that use content aliases and/or reference files. If forced to store files across multiple drives, my advice is to use the built-in iTunes method of not consolidating your files physically to a single location. As to metadata itself, the only problem I have noted is with TV show air dates which display incorrectly even though they are entered correctly in the iFlicks GUI window.

User uploaded file

May 4, 2011 11:01 PM in response to Jon Walker

Thanks j

1) I first select/highlight the files I wish to work with in the open iTunes listing

2) I then select the "Update Metadata of Selected using GUI" option

3) When the iFlicks widow opens, I ensure the "Add to iTunes" option is on and the "Move Original to Trash" option is off.

I do this, so what first two options do you choose? Which format to change to ? What location?

Matt

May 5, 2011 5:13 AM in response to Matt And Sarah

I do this, so what first two options do you choose? Which format to change to ? What location?

As previously indicated, my files are prepared externally using MPEG Streamclip, HandBrake, QT 7 Pro, or Elgato Turbo.264 HD custom conversion settings. Therefore there is no need to flatten or re-convert the files in iFlicks. (I.e., I leave the default "Flatten" option selected but do not invoke it or any of the other "pop-up" options in my work flow.) As to the second "pop-up" option, I leave the default "iFlicks Folder" option selected but since I do not flatten or convert any files, this folder remains uncreated and unused and no other folder location is used for the temporary or non-temporary storage of files I don't create. I.e., I do all my conversions on a duo-core Intel platform for its increased conversion speed and simply move the newly converted files to a "share" folder area on my old G5 PPC via my wireless WiFi network for management by iTunes and non-temporary storage on a 16-TB main RAID unit. The files in my shared area are then processed by the iFlicks GUI which adds the metadata, copies the files with metadata to the RAID drive, and then deletes the original files. Thus, I have no real need to create, designate, or otherwise use any additional storage folder space. And, as previously stated, files created prior to the purchase of iFlicks are already stored on my RAID drive and, therefore, are processed in their current location to add metadata but are neither re-copied nor deleted. (I.e., these files are manipulated logically by the file/database managers and never physically moved even when the file name is changed—all-in-all a much faster procedure for the handling of such older, pre-stored content.)

ADDITIONAL NOTES: I leave this computer on and set never to sleep with RAID drive connected via direct access and set never to spin down. In this way my files are constantly available within my home as served via iTunes to any/all of three TV units and additionally available inside and outside my home via any suitable WiFi network to my iPhone and/or iPad devices via the third-party Air Video app server which also accesses the RAID drive. This latter option is often handy when visiting relatives or friends, sitting in a doctor's office waiting for appointments, sitting in restaurants waiting for meals to be served, etc. While not a perfect solution, Apple has provided me with a very adaptable home/mobile entertainment option which I, for one, strive to make the most of on a regular basis.

Hope this of help to you.

User uploaded file

Itunes, mov Files, Iflicks and ATV2 - confused

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.