Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I connect 20" Cinema Display via Thunderbolt?

Can I connect an old 20" Cinema Display (1680 x 1050, aluminium) to the new iMacs as a 2nd display via the Thunderbolt port using an adaptor? If so, which adaptor?

Posted on May 5, 2011 5:05 AM

3 replies

May 5, 2011 7:22 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks but, no, my real question was can I connect to the Thunderbolt port "using an adaptor" because as far as I know the new iMacs don’t have a separate DisplayPort. They have Thunderbolt ports which support the Displayport protocol and uses the same connector.

I know the MiniDisplay to DVI connector exists but I was basically after confirmation that it would still work with the Thunderbolt port.

May 5, 2011 7:28 AM in response to Christiaan

I know the MiniDisplay to DVI connector exists but I was basically after confirmation that it would still work with the Thunderbolt port.

Yes it will work, this has been confirmed a few times. I had the same question myself and contacted Apple the day the computer was released to inquire and found out the Thunderbolt port does double duty as a MiniDisplay port and Thunderbolt port.

Can I connect 20" Cinema Display via Thunderbolt?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.