Skip navigation

Can I connect 20" Cinema Display via Thunderbolt?

2129 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2011 7:28 AM by rkaufmann87 RSS
Christiaan Level 3 Level 3 (525 points)
Currently Being Moderated
May 5, 2011 5:05 AM

Can I connect an old 20" Cinema Display (1680 x 1050, aluminium) to the new iMacs as a 2nd display via the Thunderbolt port using an adaptor? If so, which adaptor?

• rkaufmann87 Level 8 Level 8 (40,635 points)

As I am sure you are aware the old 20" doesn't have Thunderbolt so you won't be able to take advantage of that technology. I think your real question is "If I get a 2011 iMac can I still use my 20" Cinema Display?" The answer to that question is yes. Get a MiniDisplay to DVI connector and connect it via DVI.

Roger

• rkaufmann87 Level 8 Level 8 (40,635 points)

I know the MiniDisplay to DVI connector exists but I was basically after confirmation that it would still work with the Thunderbolt port.

Yes it will work, this has been confirmed a few times. I had the same question myself and contacted Apple the day the computer was released to inquire and found out the Thunderbolt port does double duty as a MiniDisplay port and Thunderbolt port.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.