Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MXF to FCP 6

I need to open an Avid .mxf file in FCP 6 or Quicktime. I tried imediaconverter for mac but it failed I sent them the log file and they mailed me back that it wouldnt work for this file from Media composer 3.5. It's a one off so I don't really want to spend €€€£££$$$'s any format would do - I just need to review the footage. Any hints greatly appreciated

2x2.66 dual intel xenon mac pro, macbook pro, mini mac., Mac OS X (10.5.8), RME hardware

Posted on May 5, 2011 5:52 AM

4 replies

Dec 18, 2014 5:51 PM in response to oddshoes

If you want to just review it , you can totally download a free media player, like VLC. This player can support MXF, MTS natively play wihtout any wrapping. But if you want to load them info your FCP, then you can first update your FCP6 to FCPX , so this FCPX can support MXF now. If you don't want to update your FCP, I think most users don't want to have an update , then you can find yourself a converter to transcode your mxf files into apple prores 422 to render them in your FCP6 .

Dec 18, 2014 7:47 PM in response to AliceShen

VLC crashes when I try to play an Avid MXF file. But yes, if you need to see it, you need to either get the demo for Avid Media Composer...and then put the file in a VERY specific file path and do a tricky thing to open it in Avid (If you do this, post back here and I'll walk you through it).

Or...EditReady from divergentmedia.com will play it and convert it. But know that Avid audio and video files are separate....so you can convert the video, but the audio won't follow...it's in another file.

Or get them to export a Quicktime file...tell them you can't deal with an Avid media file. Irresponsible for them to assume you could.

MXF to FCP 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.