Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have messages in mail that are color-coded as if by a rule, but I have no rules set. How can I correct this?

The only rule that I ever had in Mail was the default one that color coded messages from Apple blue. I notice that some messages are color-coded brown and I have no rules set at al (hence no rule to turn off.) Some of the messages are related to viewing online magazine, but not all. How can I stop this?

MacBookPro4,1 2.6GHz 4 GB, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 5, 2011 9:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2011 12:35 PM

Mail colour-codes junk messages brown.

In Mail's Preferences/Junk you can set to have junk automatically moved to the junk folder. If some of these messages are not junk, you should tell Mail (click NOT JUNK at the right of the brown bar Mail shows above the message when you view it) so that it learns what not to mark.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2011 12:35 PM in response to dagaus190

Mail colour-codes junk messages brown.

In Mail's Preferences/Junk you can set to have junk automatically moved to the junk folder. If some of these messages are not junk, you should tell Mail (click NOT JUNK at the right of the brown bar Mail shows above the message when you view it) so that it learns what not to mark.

Mar 29, 2012 3:15 PM in response to dagaus190

I used Entourage and I changed recently to Apple Mail.
On the Entourage it was possible to "categorize" e-mail senders by colours. On the Apple Mail does anybody can explain me if it's possible to do it easily? Or it's only possible giving a rule to each sender? That's annoying.

It's possible to give colours a category like "Customers" or "Friends"?

Mar 30, 2012 10:50 AM in response to DF71

Unless you only want to do a couple of your senders, it would be tedious, and probably confusing, to give each sender a different colour. But if you organise them into groups (using the group feature in Address Book) you can easily set up a rule using the pre-set condition "sender is a member of group". So, yes, you could have a Customers group and a Friends group, and give each a separate colour.

Apr 7, 2012 11:06 AM in response to Austin Kinsella1

Hi. Thanks for your message.
Well, I understand what you are trying to say but I thought it was easier to categorize in Apple Mail.

On Entourage I just click twice on a sender address, record it on Address book and give it a colour that I previously defined as "Work", "Personal", "Customers", "Suppliers", "Friends" or whatever.

As Apple Mail don't have Address Book as part of it but an outside feature it's very annoying. Of course I am used to use a software and I don't expect now Apple Mail do everything as Entourage but... as someone said it seems Apple Mail stopped in time. The recent version seems the first one ever issued. I hate the way Mail.app handles attachments by placing big chunky previews right in my email. I prefer them to be named attachments listed somewhere else, out of the content of my email. I don't if I can change this via terminal commands? Can you tell me if that is possible?

I don't understand why Apple Mail have lots of plugins instead of a great improvment from the backstage.

I use Apple computers since ever and I love this machines but sometimes I don't understand this lake of improvments.
Take a look at this link:
http://scottworldblog.wordpress.com/2009/10/12/microsoft-entourage-vs-apple-mail /
Of course I don't agree 100% with him but some things are true...

Jan 31, 2014 1:19 PM in response to dagaus190

I had to move from Eudora to another client when I switched to Mavericks. I chose Mail, and imported the Eudora files. Now I have some of these brown color-coded emails (stuck in among others from the same organization that are not color-coded), and I wanted to get rid of the brown coloring. I tried your trick of moving them to Junk and back out, but that's not working for me, possibly because it's a later version of Mail, or for some other reason. And of course there's nothing identifying the email as junk and providing me with the option of removing the label. When I get new mail that may be junk, the option appears, but for these old, imported files, no such luck. And I had such hope.

I have messages in mail that are color-coded as if by a rule, but I have no rules set. How can I correct this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.