Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My delete button is operating in the reverse direction.

For some reason when I use the delete button, it deletes print forward of the space and not prior. This means I need to mouse over the area to be deleted, which takes more time. What happened?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Slow loading pages

Posted on May 5, 2011 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2011 10:30 AM

Not sure what keyboard you are using, but on Apple’s wireless keyboard, holding down the Function key will cause the Delete key to delete items to the right of the insertion point whereas releasing the Function key causes Delete to delete items to the left of the insertion point.

Don’t know if toggling the Function key will bring this back to its normal behaviour of if a SMC or PRAM reset will correct this but worth trying.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2011 10:30 AM in response to jetset59

Not sure what keyboard you are using, but on Apple’s wireless keyboard, holding down the Function key will cause the Delete key to delete items to the right of the insertion point whereas releasing the Function key causes Delete to delete items to the left of the insertion point.

Don’t know if toggling the Function key will bring this back to its normal behaviour of if a SMC or PRAM reset will correct this but worth trying.

May 10, 2011 2:32 AM in response to jetset59

I presume this is a fairly new model with the US wireless keyboard? I note from the pics on the Apple Store that thekey is marked with'delete' on that keyboard rather than the backspace arrow which appears on the British keyboard (and every other one I took the trouble to enlarge).

This question came up several months ago, but I don't know if the OP on that occasion ever got a fix to make it work as backspace and require the Fn key for forward delete.

You might try going to System Preferences > Language and Text > Input sources and change the selection to British. See if that changes it. That's not a long term fix, because other functions will be different, too.

My delete button is operating in the reverse direction.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.